Why do I have a bad feeling about lifeskills

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by Triplebutterfly, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Triplebutterfly

Triplebutterfly Ascendant

I have been watching hours of gameplay from the beta that the korean players uploaded. (in really good quality I must say)

They showed their entire journey from level 1 to the beta endgame. I saw the houses and structures that they have built for materials and items.
    It would seem that the game is going in a similar direction to BDO.
    A lot of grinding, fishing, gathering and other tasks that would take a lot of time just in order to keep up with other players. This sort of grind has made a lot of people, including myself quit BDO. This is just my opinion but that is not the kind of game I would play.

Revy likes this.
  2. Shion

Shion Ascendant

If you base popularity of Korean MMO's in the Western Market, than BDO would be at the top. So they will of course try to do the same model that has already succeeded here.

3. Sera

Sera Ascendant

Actually from Beta that was not my experience. The life skills are more like Aion than BDO, and the materials vendor can provide mats required to craft stuff, or you grab mats from spawn nodes. The number of mats required for any craft is in single digits, so quite reasonable for what is required.

4. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Care to share the link to these videos?

5. Triplebutterfly

This is the specific video that made me open this thread:

I'll make a new thread with proper title which include many gameplay videos

Revy and hurfmurf like this.
  6. Sera

Sera Ascendant

Can you elucidate what about that video makes you feel crafting is a grind like BDO?

For example in BDO, you have to grind quests for contribution points required to build the infrastructure, hire workers, to collect the mats, ship the mats and then craft the goods.

The AIR video above shows a player upgrading his personal housing plots to incorporate upgraded crafting benches (the picture show what each bench can craft), it shows him installing display points to display drops, and it shows him installing personal nodes (all these nodes are in the open-world, which is the easiest way to get mats just as in AION or WOW). Each node spawns resources about ever 4 hrs (at least in CBT) This approach is of course not new and in terms of housing Wildstar used this approach. Also if you look at the number of mats for each upgrade the requirements are in single digits.

So how are these two systems the same

Revy likes this.
  7. Triplebutterfly

It looks like the beginning of.
    I can't really tell much from that video, he doesn't say anything and it's in Korean BUT as I said it looks like the beginning of endless life skills which you build yards of crafting benches and maybe at some point infinite cooking ovens or things like that that need to run 24/7 to make more mats and items and elixers and what not..

You say look at the numbers, the requirement are in single digits.. we're not even close to endgame mats and gear which I'm sure will require dozens or hundreds of mats.

AGAIN, these are my speculations and fears about the whole thing.

8. Sera

Sera Ascendant

In the CBT as the gear tiers increased (gear level) the number of mats required didn't change, but the tier of mats required did increase. i.e. Tier 1 crafting required tier 1 mats, tier 2 crafting took tier 2 mats

Also crafting is player active, i.e. you only have one oven, you cannot have more than one, nor less than one oven. In the CBT there were three tiers of crafting stations and 5 tiers of gear. Unless you are present and crafting the oven for example will not make anything.

We have had mixed msgs about what max level is.

9. Sera

Sera Ascendant

10. Triplebutterfly

I understand how little effort it takes now, and it seems like any mmo out there that requires some crafting, gathering etc for progress I just don't want to find myself cooking meals for 3 hours a day just to be able to play the game without feeling under geared and such..

I came for the air combat and the combat overall. Pvp, not player vs oven.

Anyway I do hope for equalized gear pvp like bns arena, at least in some cases, I don't mind people that want to fight each other and show off who has the better gear, I just don't want to be forced into it.

Long story short I hope there will be many ways to choose how to keep up with the game progression and anyone could choose his own way unlike BDO that you have to do everything 24/7 if you want to play the game how it should be played.

Revy and GoldYeti like this.
  11. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

That's a pity in my opinion, all mmorpgs pvp in the end, we'll see.

12. crawlord

crawlord Ascendant

ill wait and see and if its bdo like............ 24/7 afk lifeskilling.. ill probably take a pass. The older i grow the less time i have for this gaming model

13. Revy

Revy Ascendant

Killer
    Idk why ppl likes TheSims-meets-MMORPG stuff, I prefer spend my time doing battles or dungeons and just farming around while waiting for do sthing or in my freetime-ingame. But keep 24/7 the game/computer runing it's not my idea of have fun.
    I'm out if is it.

Triplebutterfly and Shion like this.
  14. Shion

Shion Ascendant

I am not against 24/7 lifeskiling gameplay, cause i think it's very popular in BDO, and helps players that can't be active online too often.
    But i don't do it my self.

15. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

It's a disadvantage if it's mandatory and if the rewards are too high, it goes against the mmorpg when they began, pity,

Revy likes this.