Why do I have a bad feeling about lifeskills

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by Triplebutterfly, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Triplebutterfly

Triplebutterfly Ascendant

I have been watching hours of gameplay from the beta that the korean players uploaded. (in really good quality I must say)

They showed their entire journey from level 1 to the beta endgame. I saw the houses and structures that they have built for materials and items.
    It would seem that the game is going in a similar direction to BDO.
    A lot of grinding, fishing, gathering and other tasks that would take a lot of time just in order to keep up with other players. This sort of grind has made a lot of people, including myself quit BDO. This is just my opinion but that is not the kind of game I would play.

Revy likes this.
  2. Sera

Sera Guest

Actually from Beta that was not my experience. The life skills are more like Aion than BDO, and the materials vendor can provide mats required to craft stuff, or you grab mats from spawn nodes. The number of mats required for any craft is in single digits, so quite reasonable for what is required.

3. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Care to share the link to these videos?

4. Triplebutterfly

This is the specific video that made me open this thread:

I'll make a new thread with proper title which include many gameplay videos

Revy and hurfmurf like this.
  5. Sera

Sera Guest

Can you elucidate what about that video makes you feel crafting is a grind like BDO?

For example in BDO, you have to grind quests for contribution points required to build the infrastructure, hire workers, to collect the mats, ship the mats and then craft the goods.

The AIR video above shows a player upgrading his personal housing plots to incorporate upgraded crafting benches (the picture show what each bench can craft), it shows him installing display points to display drops, and it shows him installing personal nodes (all these nodes are in the open-world, which is the easiest way to get mats just as in AION or WOW). Each node spawns resources about ever 4 hrs (at least in CBT) This approach is of course not new and in terms of housing Wildstar used this approach. Also if you look at the number of mats for each upgrade the requirements are in single digits.

So how are these two systems the same

Revy likes this.
  6. Triplebutterfly

It looks like the beginning of.
    I can't really tell much from that video, he doesn't say anything and it's in Korean BUT as I said it looks like the beginning of endless life skills which you build yards of crafting benches and maybe at some point infinite cooking ovens or things like that that need to run 24/7 to make more mats and items and elixers and what not..

You say look at the numbers, the requirement are in single digits.. we're not even close to endgame mats and gear which I'm sure will require dozens or hundreds of mats.

AGAIN, these are my speculations and fears about the whole thing.

7. Sera

Sera Guest

In the CBT as the gear tiers increased (gear level) the number of mats required didn't change, but the tier of mats required did increase. i.e. Tier 1 crafting required tier 1 mats, tier 2 crafting took tier 2 mats

Also crafting is player active, i.e. you only have one oven, you cannot have more than one, nor less than one oven. In the CBT there were three tiers of crafting stations and 5 tiers of gear. Unless you are present and crafting the oven for example will not make anything.

We have had mixed msgs about what max level is.

8. Sera

Sera Guest

9. Triplebutterfly

I understand how little effort it takes now, and it seems like any mmo out there that requires some crafting, gathering etc for progress I just don't want to find myself cooking meals for 3 hours a day just to be able to play the game without feeling under geared and such..

I came for the air combat and the combat overall. Pvp, not player vs oven.

Anyway I do hope for equalized gear pvp like bns arena, at least in some cases, I don't mind people that want to fight each other and show off who has the better gear, I just don't want to be forced into it.

Long story short I hope there will be many ways to choose how to keep up with the game progression and anyone could choose his own way unlike BDO that you have to do everything 24/7 if you want to play the game how it should be played.

Revy and GoldYeti like this.
  10. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

That's a pity in my opinion, all mmorpgs pvp in the end, we'll see.

11. crawlord

crawlord Ascendant

ill wait and see and if its bdo like............ 24/7 afk lifeskilling.. ill probably take a pass. The older i grow the less time i have for this gaming model

12. Revy

Revy Ascendant

Killer
    Idk why ppl likes TheSims-meets-MMORPG stuff, I prefer spend my time doing battles or dungeons and just farming around while waiting for do sthing or in my freetime-ingame. But keep 24/7 the game/computer runing it's not my idea of have fun.
    I'm out if is it.

Triplebutterfly and Shion like this.
  13. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

It's a disadvantage if it's mandatory and if the rewards are too high, it goes against the mmorpg when they began, pity,

Revy likes this.
  14. Joker Le Mat

Joker Le Mat Ascendant

As long as my fishing life is secure and relaxing, I'm good to go lol

Shion likes this.
  15. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

The worst aspect of crafting skills in asian MMOs, aside from the huge amount of random stuff you need to process for a single item, is the RNG factor the asian devs like to include:

That shiny item you want to create? Oh, first you need to crit craft certain parts with low success rate - and btw, you better go grind the recipe for those. Oh, the required mats for the crit craft are also low drop from heavily contested mobs. And when you have all of them, the actual item craft itself must crit too! With low chance again! Have fun grinding for nothing :rolleyes:

Besides, you may even not reach the crafting skill required because you also need to pass the crafting exam which consists of crit crafting some random, unrelated and useless items... yes, I played Aion and this was part of the reason of why I quit. Also the reason why I stay away from crafting in Tera.

Eärwen and Triplebutterfly like this.
  16. Triplebutterfly

I loved Blade and Soul weapon progression, you had to collect certain items which took time and hard work but you knew when you will acquire those items and materials you had 100% success rate to get to the next stage of your weapon.

Greeniewolf and Eärwen like this.
  17. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

You are so right.. it takes too much effort, and usually when you get the item/food, it's too low level for you, or not very useful and you spent a lot of game money for nothing... bloody crafting+cash shop

18. IronArm

IronArm Ascendant

There have been individuals that have been known for lifeskills in MMOs for a very long time, so I'm not sure where the comments about it not being what MMOs are about is coming from.

Those that don't see the point in crafting/gathering, do realize that there are also people that don't see the point in only PvP, only PvE, or only fighting all the time. MMOs aren't just about dungeon crawling and smashing things/people, there are many different aspects of MMOs.

If you don't enjoy crafting or gathering don't do it. Find other ways to keep up. Individuals that only lifeskill are usually worse at combat, so they don't partake in it as much. The individuals that are spending both the time crafting and gathering, while still spending the time to grind mobs, levels, PvP, etc. are usually at the top of the server and they should be. They are spending the time to excel at multiple aspects of the game, so naturally they are going to be better than those that are only doing one thing.

Greeniewolf and Domi like this.
  19. Triplebutterfly

I like what you're saying. My point is that BDO took it to an other level by adding all those afk tasks. If someone would like to gather instead of grinding mobs/pvp be my guest, it makes the world seems more alive and gives more depth to the game.
    BDO made it that if you're not logged in to the game 24/7 farming as much as you can and doing afk tasks, "forever" you're behind.
    Most of the people are not playing the game, they are grinding it like it's a paying job.. "20,000 concurrent players" 70% of them are afk.

20. Sera

Sera Guest

In the CBT, and from remarks in this forum by PM_Jouska, AIR isn't going to have the AFK crafting systems of BDO. Crafting is rather instantaneous, and gathering requires players to interact with a gathering node in the open world like AION.

@IronArm crafting is an integral part of AIR, from the CBT the top end (best in slot) gear is only obtained from crafting. Their is a thread on these forums (in December/January) started @Piou where this very point is discussed.

Link to thread by @Squirrel on life skills
    https://forum.airthegame.com/index....fe-skills-and-leveling-them-up.283/#post-4759

First post, compares top dungeon drop to standard craft of same level.
    https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/crafting-guide-101.288/

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2018
    Triplebutterfly likes this.