What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by hurfmurf, Feb 7, 2020.

1. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

There are some rumours going around in Discord right now:

http://www.sisaweek.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=130719

Google translation of an excerpt results in this:
    "The new PC online MMORPG is 'A: IR'. It was developed by Kraftton and Kakao Games was in charge of distribution, so it was well received by game fans. Air is also unlikely to be optimistic in 1H. It is promising that it will be officially introduced only in the second half after the launch time is considerably delayed and all negative reactions from the second CBT are reflected"
    And apparently some Koreans from some korean forums say the same.

Basically if we go by these, this game is unlikely to launch before second half of 2020 in *Asia*. And then most likely only somewhen in 2021 in EU/NA. Looking at the lack of news - where OBTs should have been announced by now - these rumours seem quite plausible.

And with this, my question is:

What is causing the delays and what went wrong during the development process that there are such huge issues apparently? After all, the last FGT was said to have been well received.

I am really just curious, no strong emotions about this etc.

p.s.: also, something I always wanted to ask: do the devs understand English and do they read foreign forums like this one from time to time? Going by other korean games and devs, at least one of these doesn't seem the case, but one can never know.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Kroata and Ayia like this.
  2. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

What went wrong? Well, I'll tell you!
    The game is gonna come out here in NA/EU not sooner than 2021 and look at the engine it's using? Yes, it's using UE3 and they went with that by their choice according to the article I read citing them.

And read that article that you read one more time and you'll hear from them that A:IR according to them is "quality enough" meaning it's an MVP! (an MVP is "minimum viable product" and this is what the game is based on everything that they've demonstrated so far!)

They are not quality-oriented, they are production-oriented as they are working on so many games!

A:IR is not good enough and it's not good enough to compete in this market of upcoming MMORPGs! It's using UE3, game-design is just terrible for an MMORPG, it under-delivers on the steampunk theme (visual design is an evidence of that. The game doesn't feel steampunk enough!), and the game has a terrible backend that is not good enough to support large-scale players (the game lags with 15 players or less on screen man! This is an MMO, what happened to the scale?).

Is this the kind of game and developer/publisher that you want to support? Now you people are asking what went wrong? Everything has been wrong since the beginning! Wake up man and stop wasting another year waiting for this piece of crap that is not gonna last long anyway! As they already mentioned themselves, they are competing in the market and they are doing terrible at it! Well, if you just produced quality games and stop focusing on this production-orientation to ramp up more sales, you would have a better chance to stand up in this competition! You wanna know what this is? This is incompetence! That's not our problem as the consumers! Our problem is we pay for quality long-term MMORPG and this is not the company that can deliver it!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

This game based on how it's looking right now is a Bless! They can delay it as long as they want, it's gonna come out as Bless with this kind of game-design, game-design principles that are influenced by sales, and development roadmap. Do you think this game is looking positive right now? Lol!

I cannot support a company that doesn't deliver what I want as a customer. I am not a satisfied customer with this kind of product, monetization that affects gameplay, and service. Why should I do business with them when I can do it with someone who does it better?

The game is a Bless in quality and another curse to us consumers! The past years have been unfortunate enough that I have learned from it, not again am I gonna suffer from the same scheme! Take this garbage with you because I don't need it!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. Zet

Zet Ascendant

retired
    Surely there must be some redeeming qualities to this game.

5. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Tbh, I don't think Bluehole deserves this kind of condemnation because they are at least trying to innovate and none of us has paid a cent for A:IR itself yet. We can't even be customers at this time.

On the other hand, you raise some valid points, especially about "sales orientation", which isn't exactly new in the asian MMO market but surely starts to permeate all other genres and markets, slowly resembling drug dealers trying to draw in more unsuspecting victims to increase drug sales.

6. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

Like what? I'm listening.

What innovation? This looks like a standard Korean Themepark MMO that is actually worse than it's already bad predecessors.

Name me one good innovation A:IR offers?... Nevermind that, tell me what makes A:IR unique that makes it stand out? None, it's just f*cking new!

---------------------------------------------------
    My point: stop defending this incompetent developer, the marketing behind it, it's monetization model, and how much of a crap this game is!

Let's be frank, let me ask you a question: look at the game right now, look at the facts like who is developing and publishing it, and tell me the likelihood of it ever succeeding in this market in terms of player reception? A:IR ever since the beginning is not being received well man, it's another Bless! The game-design is bad for an MMORPG, the game lacks depth, the game is lackluster, the backend of the game is terrible that the game lags with only 15 players on screen (no optimization will fix a terrible backend design!!!).

It's a dead on arrival!

7. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

You gonna look at what they demonstrate, that's a warning! Don't do the same thing you did with Bless and buy it after already being warned!

I don't know if you guys are just blind or what, things present themselves right before your eyes and god damn it, you cannot notice them? That is plain retarded! Did not learn from Bless, did not learn from Astellia, you will pay for this piece of crap thinking it will be the next big thing, and again you will never learn from that same cycle!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  8. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I consider introduction of actual fully player-controlled flying ships a great innovation or at least a very fresh iteration of what AION started but failed at. Thematically, in terms of mechanics and gameplay and in terms of what MMOs are about (M as in MASSIVELY). Before this, Bluehole were the first(at least the ones I know of) to try and pull off action combat on an MMO scale, but sadly failed. Nontheless, other developers, including Blizzard's, started to imitate some of TERA's mechanics(compare the Siege Beast of 3rd act in Diablo 3 against Tera's Naga BAMs).

I do see your points about difficulties and shortcomings in this game's delopment and I definitely agree with some of them, but I really think there is no need to try and dump on this game so vehemently. Of course there is a chance that Bluehole might fail with A:IR - actually a very high chance simply due to propensity of asian devs to focus on soul-crushing RNG^n mechanics and less on actual fun and immersion, which constitute the centrepiece of MMORPG fascination.
    But this game hasn't even released yet and no one has paid anything - and doesn't even need to, this is supposed to be an F2P MMO. There is no reason to try and "save" someone from a "grave mistake of trying out A:IR" or whatnot.

There is some time to go until release sometime this year, and probably in the next for EU/US, and if you look back in what state this game was going to release and how it progressed so far, there is still some hope for additional changes.