"The Machinery of A:IR" Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by A:IR Crew, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Tez

Tez Ascendant

Software Engineer
    So question is the mountable cannons and guns on those smaller ships that are a option to add. How will we add them, crafting, buy from npc in game, with some point reward system OR the dreaded cash shop.

Also will special air ships and things of that nature be in the cash shop?
    @PM_Jouska

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Zephan

Zephan Ascendant

Hmm, definitely could be something like that. I would hope enemy players wouldn't count for that if so though, lol.

3. TheFirstOrder

TheFirstOrder Ascendant

I have a question, at AIR, the surface is wiped out totally or most of it ,according to the lore; so people are living on these flying islands so there is more importance on the air, right ? if so, the surface should be filled with ocean water and there might be very less land surface. My main question is this " There will be naval battles on the sea and under water combats too, in AIR mmorpg ? ". We should access every part of the world of AIR to experience the game fully and totally.

Note:
    I hope that the game developers add more cool normal and battleships to the game. In addition, maybe, thy might add some ships we can design ourself and apply them in the game too, who knows^^. When I look at the current sandbox mmorpgs with sea related contents like Archeage etc, there are really lack of under water and sea level combat options and ship options like more different ships, submarines etc. I hope that with AIR, they bring all the things we desired for years to see in a mmorpg.

4. TheFirstOrder

TheFirstOrder Ascendant

The Archeage anchor tactics or camping under the water to wipe everyone with zerg tactics, I hope that, will not work at AIR^^.

5. TheFirstOrder

TheFirstOrder Ascendant

We can do everything we see in these battlegrounds with our air ships etc, in the Open World too ? I hope that we can do. I love open world pvp and pve content more than battlegrounds and dungeons really. Apart from this, there will be fortress and castle siege options, conquering the cities or capital of the factions in AIR mmorpg too at open world ? thank you.

6. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I consider a lack of a melee mech and a general focus on all-out range combat a serious issue.

Looking at it from my player-perspective:

Boarding a mech and then just hanging back behind other players, plinking with some random point-and-shoot skills at the enemies is not extremely exciting. When I board a mech I expect to be able to - excuse my find English please - totally f***k some s**t up. Not in a completely overpowered kind of way("point and click at enemy from range - enemy dies" sounds pretty OP tbh) - but I want my presence to be felt and seen through distruptive and supressive skills that also look really good visually and offer mechanics and movement options not available to the normal characters.

Examples: being able to physically(ingame) move people around - either through aoe knock ups or knock backs. Being able to do a long jump attack with a wide range aoe at landing. Being able to shoot a laser of doom from my hand after some cool melee combos - like that rocky monster from a couple of higher end dungeons in Tera.
    And of course I'd like to battle other mechs in an epic battle while all around us players fight on foot and in the air.
    Maybe there would be a catapult module for melee mechs installed on air ships so one could try and launch a mech straight over to an enemy ships to cause some major havok(including a possibility to miss the target and faceplant your mech right into a rockside :D ).

Basically I'd really like some really epic fun from going out in a mech, just like in some old anime about giant magical battlesuits wielding giant swords. Current mech variants did not look like they could provide an experience like that.

About turrets.

I fear they might end up being a bit unfun if the devs don't focus on providing a fun experience through insteresting skills and a bit more challenging aiming instead of the simple point-and-click mechanics. When I mentioned this issue in my very first post in this forum the answer was fairly logical "what do you expect from a gatling gun?" Well, my answer now is: I expect that it requires some aiming skills and offers some interesting abilities and combos. I also expect that gatling guns etc either don't disrupt the ground play(= players fighting with their standard/vanilla abilities) too much or can be countered effectively by said ground forces.

Some skills and abilities suggestions, assuming we are talking about ship to ship combat:

- Shield ability to absorb some damage from the front.
    - A charge up ability for a high damage "sniper shot" vs enemy crew and other turret users. Charge up mechanic should make it somewhat difficult to aim in a dynamic battle and result in a potentially rewarding experience in case of a successful hit. A visual indicator looking like a laser pointer could be used to give the enemy a chance to react, if the ability turns out OP.
    - Ability to switch modes between low range + high projectile speed + low accuracy and medium range + lower projectile speed + higher accuracy, a certain cooldown incurred after each switch.
    - Ability to create visual obstruction that hinders enemies from accurate shooting. Like a small black cloud or something similar, think squid shooting some ink.
    - Ability to ignite said cloud for some damage in case someone gets inside.

(!!!) I realized shortly after posting, that this ability has some serious potential ingame:
    a) it may allow you to lay down a kind of a delayed mine if you predict where the target is going and properly place the cloud in front of it, thus providing more engaging and dynamic gameplay
    b) it allows to actively shape the battleground to some extent, where you basically create a sort of "keep out" zones for a limited duration. When used in coordination with other players of a given ship, this might allow for some cool tactics.
    c) these "soft obstacles" require better piloting skills from the enemy, which in turn could make flying more complex and more fun in general

- Ability to shoot slowing projectiles so that you could enable your big turrets or higher damaging equipment to shoot at targets they would normally have serious difficulties to hit:
    * A simple slowing projectile that slows down a target a bit
    * or some sort of a hook like whale hunters used to shoot, to slow down a target quicker and more drastically than option above
    * a hook that pulls targets to the shooting ship.
    * different difficulties of the skills above at landing a successful hit.

To sum it up: I'd like to see that operating a turret in game results a little bit in a game within a game where you would need to aim properly - ie leading fast targets - and being able - and even required - to use a range of fun and visually interesting abilities, providing a feeling of satisfaction upon successful attacks. IMO a simply point and click won't cut it in a non-fps game.

edit: added some stuff under (!!!)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. SielAlseif

SielAlseif Ascendant

I think the Largest ship can be attacked from players that Just landing into his deck, so People have to organize attack and defense situations, with his capacity 75 players is suficient to do this

8. Ajee

Ajee Ascendant

Graphic Designer & Semireject.com
    I am a little afraid all this gadgets and things will become too much. Both when it comes to performance issue but also how cluttered certain events will be. It is easy to get carried away with themes like this, and even how much I might love them my experience is that they usually "cost" too much.

And judging by the trailers it seems they haven hold back a single bit either. We have turrets, airships and things all over the screen doing their things, all with high intensity effects. A little too chaotic in my opinion, but hope of course it will be balanced when they are done.

Besides that; I love the story and how the machines binds everything together. Very nice artwork too! :)

9. Laguna

Laguna Ascendant

Great choice of ships probably for numerous activities which is already interesting in term of density of content and for the Steampunk aspect itself.

Here is the last PvP video that I saw and it looks pretty fluid compared to the first trailer, kinda positive.

Triplebutterfly and SielAlseif like this.
  10. A:IR Crew

A:IR Crew Administrator A:IR Crew

Thank you all for the feedback and discussions, this has been very helpful.

11. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

What consistenly annoys me in most of the videos, is how the backpack wings behave when players move upwards. It looks really awkward. I wished A:IR wings were more like in Aion in that regard, so that going upwards using the wings would look more natural.

12. Ael431

Ael431 Ascendant

Will these airships be upgradable in any factor to increase said damage or damage type? Or will it be per ship used in accordance to the certain instance?

13. xMantissx

xMantissx Ascendant

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Ael431 likes this.
  14. Ael431

Ael431 Ascendant

15. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

Don't make it so players have to be 24/7 on the game or travel great distances to sell silly things.
    (to be updated)

Sera and Triplebutterfly like this.
  16. Just Mason

Just Mason Ascendant

Full-Time Slacker
    Sounds fun. Large scale sky-pirating is gonna' be fun! Even though I'm more of a PvE kinda person.

Sera likes this.
  17. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

There is no respect for PvE and cooperation+communication anymore.

18. Eredeen

Eredeen Ascendant

magician will be available to male characters?

19. Lnhzz

Lnhzz Ascendant

Pls, don't let the craft be boring or lifetaken.