Teaser - Single Player Dungeons Part 1

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Praballo, Oct 22, 2018.

1. CM Praballo

CM Praballo Community Management A:IR Crew

Greetings Ascendants,

this week we want to give you a first impression of a very exciting A:IR feature, the solo dungeons. Single player dungeons are similar to group dungeons in the sense of providing a unique challenge with the prospect of rare loot. However in Solo dungeons you are on your own. Will you be able to fight through all challenges and defeat the final boss?

Goblin Cave

Ascent-Infinite-Realm-Dungeon-GoblinCave-Boss-screenshot-2-1.jpg

Ascent-Infinite-Realm-Dungeon-GoblinCave-Boss-screenshot-2-3.jpg

Ascent-Infinite-Realm-Dungeon-GoblinCave-Boss-screenshot-3-1.jpg
    Ascent-Infinite-Realm-Dungeon-GoblinCave-Boss-screenshot-3-3.jpg

Ascent-Infinite-Realm-Dungeon-GoblinCave-Boss-screenshot-1-1.jpg
    Ascent-Infinite-Realm-Dungeon-GoblinCave-Boss-screenshot-1-2.jpg

Infiltrate the Goblin Cave to look for the lost tin robot. As you fight your way pass the goblins, you will come across various unique boss monsters.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Dei, Shari, Cimberly and 7 others like this.
  2. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    I like that! At least you won't always be dependent on having a group to run certain content with then.

SikkTwiztid likes this.
  3. Sparki

Sparki Ascendant

Nice :)
    i share all of this in the german community forum :)

Shari likes this.
  4. Kapi Heartlilly

Kapi Heartlilly Ascendant

Data Analyst
    Same, but as always people will find a way to complain about it :)

Nupy likes this.
  5. Partiesplayin

Partiesplayin Ascendant

Solo dungeons love it !

Sparki likes this.
  6. SikkTwiztid

SikkTwiztid Ascendant

Looks great. Thanks for the update, woot! Keep up the great work!

7. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

@Kapi Heartlilly For a AAA Game Development Company, I don't expect anything less! They have the resources and they have the experiences, what they entirely lack is a proper mindset towards developing MMORPGs with "good" quality standards. How do we come to this distinction? Ofcourse it is a subjective thing! "Art" after all is just an expression and application of an abstract idea to it's concrete form - setting a standard is an opinion. An "opinion" does not mean it's not based on facts and knowledge, it means it's not necessarily based on facts and knowledge. Who are you to twist an opinion based on objective facts? A person cannot develop a point of view without an external source, it's impossible. A point of view is an outlook towards something, you cannot relate something with without that something, therefore the concept of an "opinion" will not exist without an external source of information, in my case, I would like to present them as a "fact", it did came from facts after all! I am presenting these objective information based on majority subjective source on what makes a "good" MMO. If majority subjective source is represented as they are, it is an objective fact because that is our topic. We are speaking facts here based on majority opinion asserted as my opinion based on objective facts. It is a fact as far as our topic is concerned.

Let's talk about the facts here:

1.) This game looks beautiful both immersingly and impressively in details and aesthetics of the design. Inarguably, they have yet to fail in this aspect as Tera is also another beautiful game graphically.

2.) Graphics alone does not determine the quality of the game overall, neither is Combat and/nor Graphics individually nor together alone.

3.) An MMORPG is hollow if they lack contents, depth, progression, a rewarding experience, an immersive feel, and social experience. These are the most important aspects, the most integral components of the structure of an MMO that are undermined in terms of their significance today.

4.) It is not impressive to see this game add more and continue to add more private Instance-based activities whether they are group-based or individual-based in the expense of a public Open World activities and significant contents in it's boundary. An Instance-based game with insignificant Open World is not good for the fact that these Instances are private and repetitive. Almost everything I saw and continue to see in this game regarding activities are Instance-based!

5.) Another issue that I would like to raise - I don't even need to raise such issue because it raises itself, is a fact that this game is also heavily session-based with limitations to farming / grinding. A game that is session-based determines the routine of your activities, as you will do the optimal activities that your time can provide, in a repetitive manner, with psychological constraint of participating in those activities. A game with Dailies forces you to log-in and participate daily even if it's not technical compulsory. The limitations itself is a contraint, how do you expect to maintain your progression in atleast a relevant approach without doing what you are constraint of or Paying to Progress, which a lot of married gamers continue to justify. A system based on Pay to Progress vs in-game dedication is preposterous and ludicrous especially when we are talking about a game, a game requires player participation, how can something be based outside of it's internal system?

A game with no Sessions is considered a Seamless-based. An example of this is Black Desert without any Sessions. People who can dedicate more and most to the game in terms of effort towards the game should be entitled to be on the top. If you can only dedicate minimal time to a game (especially for an MMO), you should not expect to be in a pro level. Just like in real-life, it takes dedication and time to be professional in whatever activity. This is not a fully skill-based Moba or Battle Royale game, this is an MMORPG, what from the very beginning did you expect? Did you have any idea what an MMORPG is?

6.) It raises a question that this company, a AAA Korean MMO Development Company, despite it's assets, them, their successors and predecessors of Korean and Chinese origins failed and continue to fail in delivering a long-term product with good quality standards by their own choice itself in terms of core design. Their MMOs are always designed for short-term rather than long-term. Systems, mechanics, and designs that are considered negative aspects continue to persist MMO after another MMO with the same undermined positive aspects and designs that will never see the light of day, probably ever again. They don't have an open-mind and their mind is not set towards developing a quality product. I cannot expect more from such company to expect nothing less from such company with such assets and capabilities! It's unbelievable!

This topic only covers the core design of the game, how about the Business Model? I can write a book solely about that topic! It's not a complicated subject as a matter of fact, but people's present misconceptions that they continue to claim as facts along with misinformation and misbelief in their theory leading to their illogical principles complicates the uncomplicated subject itself. How ridiculous do you believe in the existence of "free" in a world where equity is developed! How ridiculous do you believe in the existence of physical perpetuity without any intervention (maintenance and utility costs)! How ridiculous do you believe that a virtual server does not also exists in physical form/s to simulate it? I also have to talk about networking, not just economy and the system design of the game itself, for people to have a proper understanding of this subject!

Stop spreading misconceptions!

7.) If a beautiful Korean MMO game designed for short-term is all you can present with a hollow content and experience, will be the same as presenting to me a beautiful Korean person to be my partner who will dig me to the very last penny until you leave them yourself after a few months because the relationship does not produce any benefit to you but to be exploited of.
    Bless Online has proven that a beautiful game in terms of appearance but hollow in other characteristics with no Pay to Win but with extremely mild Pay to Convenience means nothing to the community. It's the quality of the game that matters and it's not only about the graphics.
    There are reasons why MMOs were better and more populated before. If a good design is not broken, don't remove it and replace it to make it worse.

8.) Kickstarter MMOs such as Chronicles of Elyria, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, Ashes of Creation, and Dual Universe considers, chooses, and implements Seamless-based gameplay design, Strategic, unrestrictive, and Dynamic Combat, Open World based with no private Instances, Rewarding experience and not Instant experience, non-linear and non-Instant-gratification Progression, a mandatory Pay to Play Sub-based Business Model, no QoL that makes playing the game an instant experience, depth and quantity of contents, long-term and not short-term, existence of group-based, all these types of designs because they are willing to consider and implement good MMO designs that were proven in the past to reintroduce the following aspects that are undermined and non-existent today: contents, depth, progression, a rewarding experience, an immersive feel, and social experience. They also see the flaws that present Modern MMOs continue to make in regards to their game design that these present AAA companies especially the Korean and Chinese ones continue to repeat, disregard, and unacknowledge.
    The MMO Community has been burned so many times from the past, you cannot continue to keep doing this! I also have learned from my experiences and will no longer fall for the same trap, if this is your standard, it's a joke!

9.) Quality matters in an MMO, if you continue to design it like this, it will fail just like the same Korean and Chinese MMOs with the same game design that came before! If you don't change the design and only improve the graphics, it's the same thing as before! If nothing changed, you cannot possibly expect a different outcome! You have to take the risks of changing your current Modern MMO design for better or for worse! We want better ofcourse than what we currently have as a garbage standard of today.
    Do not blame the residual of the industry on the MMO Market and the popularity of the genre itself as you have done nothing to change your game design in the first place! It's definitely not the Game Engine as well, you can port the game to UE4 but if you have done nothing to change the game design, it's the same thing!

10.) I expect better but you are not gonna do better with that kind of decision-making and implementations despite given full control, large resources, and vast experience when you voluntarily chose and continue to voluntarily choose bad designs out of freewill yourself! This is what disappointed me the most!

8. Avelina

Avelina Ascendant

This is incredibly exciting. Being able to do some dungeons at your own pace your own way by yourself is great!

9. Stev

Stev Ascendant

With my Suggar Daddy
    Can't wait for this looks beautiful tho i'm so hyped for this

10. Szmer

Szmer Ascendant

- Massively multiplayer online role-playing game...
    - Solo dungeons...

[​IMG]

11. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

@Szmer The problem here, and I'm very sure you will agree with me 100%, is they are deviating away from characteristics of the MMORPG genre in terms of their design. Without or lacking of such characteristics, the game cannot conform more to that specific genre. It's not even a matter of an opinion here, it's a matter of characteristics that define a game to be appropriate to that category. You cannot design a game to cater to all kinds of audiences on what already is a specific genre! That is practically impossible and literally impossible! It's already been categorized and it's this category that makes them unique and therefore individually have their own audiences! How stupid can these people possibly be?

The particular genre that we are looking for and what this game is supposed to be by market and design itself is an MMORPG. Let's not get lost in a world that is already full of directions! An MMORPG has features of entirely MMORPG features! Do I need to write another book about it or it's already known? When you limit Trading to pre-defined in-game market-prices and not allow for Player-to-Player Trading like in Bless Online are one of the prime examples of when an MMORPG has been designed to be less of an MMORPG. Can you call a Chinese a Chinese if one was to be born with curly hair and darker skin complexion? I don't wanna talk about this, a mixed Chinese is not a full Chinese! What we are being offered with is a mongrel game!

If the design do not change, if it still remains to be the same exact design as it's unsuccessful predecessors', I cannot take a gamble in it the same way as before once again! If nothing changed, what do you expect? Nothing will change as an outcome!

I am looking for an MMORPG, beautiful graphics alone does not impress me, is that what this genre is unique of? I've already said enough that my paragraphs already spanned for a lengthy river. We don't need to drown on information in order for us to understand what this is about! The flaw here is the game design itself, and it's that same game design that did not changed and continue to carry over in legacy!

12. Kjjing

Kjjing Ascendant

J’espère aussi que c'est un mode solo, uniquement pour les quêtes histoire et que le jeu offrira un vrai contenu multi. À vouloir satisfaire plusieurs types de joueurs, sur un même jeu, on ne fait rien de bien... Donnez-nous les moyens et de vrais outils pour des rencontres pve & pvp en open et ce sera parfait. Attendons d'en savoir plus.

13. BecauseSCIENCE

BecauseSCIENCE Ascendant

Creatures look amazing, can't wait.

14. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

@Kjjing I do not know any French at all, so in order to understand your comment, I had to use Google Translate. That's exactly the problem with current Modern MMORPG design that never changed and this is what this is about! The design of MMORPG shifted from general MMORPG design to saturated hybrid and much less of a general MMORPG design in order to meet the requirements of other external audiences and incorporate them as well to create a wider target audiences overall. Their design is based on business factors, not innovation to the genre as such design is a disgrace to the genre! If they designed this game to be purely of MMORPG features, they will lose the potential of a bigger audience that they themselves created in the first place. Business talks and this is the design you get! MMORPG have became garbage right now because it caters now to all types of audiences making the game designed for saturated audiences! People who are looking for MMORPG will never again experience the genre wholly! It's a disappointment because the game is designed entirely out of business in mind! They never considered the quality of the product because to them the MMORPG audience is not large enough in comparison to what they see as potential wider target audiences combined! If you people still do not see this, then you are gullible!
    I'm already burned out and my soul had been fully evaporated from the scorch of this market all these years that came by - I cannot gamble again with the exact same design and expect something different!
    It's not about putting more time in to the development of the game, it's about designing it with appropriate designs in the first place. Traveling from 1 point to another doesn't mean traveling that distance, you will never get there if you are not heading towards that direction no matter the distance traveled! To think that this game will change over time when it's already off course is not smart to assume! Put all the time you want to the development of this game as it is to be optimistic about, I know the reality where this is gonna go and if the design does not change, nothing much will change about the game but the quantity that you are adding to a flawed design.
    I cannot accept such treacherous design if this is what it all ends up to!

15. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

My source of complaint here is not the solo-content, I know that in an MMORPG, there is a co-existence of both solo and group-based contents and progression. My source of complaint here is the huge amount of Instance-based contents. To me, they are designing this game to deliver instant experience opposite in nature to what an MMORPG is supposed to deliver - a rewarding and immersive experience! Not only this, an Instance-based design is also less social and immersive, it is instant and exclusive!

MMORPGs have never been like this before, it started to be designed for the delivery of instant experience when Developers realized the potential profit of targeting a more saturated audience.

It will always fail because this is not what we want! How can you possibly cater to all audiences when you know that it doesn't work! People who are in to MMORPGs are not here for instant experience, they know what the genre is and what it requires!

Modern MMORPGs have went in the wrong direction and destroyed the genre, you cannot possibly say that it improved with all these evidence! If you plan to Release this game on 2020, I might as well look at the Kickstarters!

16. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I remember solo instances from Aion and Tera. They were quite okay to play for the first couple of times but I surely found them impossible to enjoy after 10th time or so, because by that time you were basically just griding mobs spawning in the same place, in the same pattern, and killing them in the same fashion and in the same sequence.

I'd like to hope that the devs thought about this issue a little bit and are going to try to bring some change into these single player formats by varying mob and boss spawns a bit, by maybe letting or forcing players to take a different path each time and by thinking about ways to offer varying strategies on how to tackle these instances depending on your class and the set of enemies you'll face, perhaps including interactions with random objects inside the instance.

Examples for the last part:
    Warlord finds a tar pit, covers his hammer in it and sets it ablaze, now doing bonus fire damage. Sorc uses his spells to push some otherwise very sturdy mobs into the pit and then sets the tar on fire, thus saving himself a lot of time and trouble.
    Engineer uses the tar and some other random stuff to make some explosives for additional long range aoe fire power.

In the way of art/graphics, I'd like to remind you of my remark right at the top of this post here:
    https://forum.airthegame.com/index....l-art-style-and-other-visuals.342/#post-13289
    A giant fly is pretty disgusting to look at, IMO.

I would also be happy about a more unique monster design, tbh, rather than just one where regular earth animals are taken and random parts of other animals are added to them.

17. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Ascendant

I wouldn't waste time building "Solo Dungeons"
    Make Dungeons that have a "Story Mode" and are easy but expand into group oriented challenges.

Appreciate the idea, but the biggest concern with this game is if Bluehole is capable of communicating with anyone outside Korea.
    And if Yes, How does the combat feel?

Is this game going to feel like playing a polished Ace Combat game or is it going to be a Bless Online Cookie?

Hopefully you Opt to launch an extended NA beta with only an arena mode active so that your combat system can be refined without risking spoiling all the "Single Player" content you guys are putting together.

Szmer likes this.
  18. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

The graphics and visual designs are already great enough, we can't ask for any more improvements regarding that aspect. How about the other aspects that are lacking/missing from this game? They require more attention! Like I already said, a game has to deliver experience/s to it's players in the form of an MMORPG. If this ends up delivering Instant experience and that alone, it will be as hollow as the many beautiful MMORPGs that came before that equally have lackluster contents and terrible design characteristics.

You guys keep asking for more Instant Dungeons, this game is already a Dungeon Crawler like Revelation Online. How about the significance of the Open World? If you don't tie that to Progression in a Rewarding way, nobody will participate in it! It doesn't solve an already existing problem to introduce more Dungeons when that is the root of the problem itself. This game feels like Tera graphically with Black Desert Online's Color Grading on UE3, but Gameplay-wise it's designed almost like Revelation Online's gameplay - the persistence is in the Open World, but the Progression contents are almost entirely Instanced, therefore constituting almost your entire activities in the game delivering nothing but Instant, Repetitive, and Lackluster experience, Lackluster in a way that it failed to deliver Social and Immersive experience because they are private Instanced activities. How you spend your time in the game is your activities in the game, it's what you experience in your participation, if they are Instanced-based with the persistence in the Open World like Revelation Online's, you are not gonna get a good experience in the game and you will grow tired of it. The difference between Revelation Online's and Black Desert's gameplay is Black Desert's activities are in the Open World, hence the experience that they deliver are not the same.

You guys keep asking for more Linearity and Story-driven gameplay, this is an MMORPG, it should offer Non-linear and Optional path of Progression to deliver Role-playing experience. "Role-play", to take "role" in the decision-making process of Character Development in your own narrative in a game that is structured for it, this is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, do not make it any less of it.

It's starting to sound like you guys only care about the Combat and Combat experience of this game, while they definitely require more improvements and I have to admit that they do, this is not what this game is all about. I don't want this game to deliver just Instant experience if you want this to be present in this game, I want it to deliver Immersive, Social, and Rewarding experience as well because this is an MMORPG. These experiences are missing/lacking much more than the Instant experience in which it had fully traded of for the later. While I agree that the Combat Control needs to be more Dynamic (I don't agree that it needs to necessarily be more fast-paced nor necessarily be Action-Combat) and the Environment/AI to be more interactive hence more counter-engagement from the Combat Control making the Combat gameplay more engaging, this is not everything about the game, if it fails to deliver Social, Immersive, and Rewarding gameplay as well, it's nothing but a beautiful and Instant game, you might as well play MOBAs and Battle Royales because they are good at delivering Instant gameplay solely.

If you see this game to be lacking of Instant experience, I see it lacking more of much more than that. Let's carefully look more!

19. ZiZiGun987

ZiZiGun987 Ascendant

This is so awesome i wish this game open world will forget people to play rdr2 and play this game cause it need to be upgrade more graphic look good and system of open world too i love it !!!! ^^

20. vanity

vanity Ascendant

I like the idea of solo dungeons, it's nothing new though.