Teaser - Residence Part 2

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Praballo, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Goemoe

Goemoe Ascendant

Good point. :D

2. Squalus

Squalus Ascendant

Hi,

First of all thanks for sharing some pictures and info about the game. Thanks to that we know every day a little more about the game and at least we know that the game is alive xD
    In Teaser - Residence Part 1 you talked about how to farm resources and said: Every homeowner has several plots available enabling a steady supply of resources. It’s up to you if you want to highly specialize or get a little of everything.
    So my questions are: Everybody will be able to craft all the items if have not highly specialized or that will affect to the items that you craft (something that there will be items that only can gather with an speciality). And will we able to craft all the things that you mentioned or we will have to learn some expertise?

Thanks in advance, greetings.

CreativeX likes this.
  3. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

@Squalus
    I will tell you how the Housing of this game works. I would like to thank @xMantissx for his video which I will use as a reference.

Housing (주택) has 7 components:
    1.) Emblem (상징물)
    2.) Pasture for Animal Husbandry (목장)
    3.) Crafting Workshop (재작 건물)
    4.) Farm (농장)
    5.) Arboretum for Trees (수목원)
    6.) A Mine (광산)
    7.) Pond (연못)

The "Crafting Workshop" has 5 components:
    1.) Weapon Crafting (무기 제작대)
    2.) Armor Crafting (방어구 제작대)
    3.) Alchemy (연금술 선반)
    4.) Cooking (요리 화덕)
    5.) Airship Construction (비행선 제작대)

"Housing", all of it's 7 components, and sub-components of these 7 components are all upgradable (they can all be leveled). To upgrade your "Housing", all it's 7 components, and all the sub-components of these 7 components, they require their own required Upgrade-Dilligence (밀요 비용) and Upgrade-Materials which will all be consumed to upgrade them to the next level.

By Upgrading each of the 5 components of "Crafting Workshop" to higher levels, more Crafting Items can be unlocked in which you can now Craft because you now have the required level. It requires the required Level, Crafting-Materials, and Crafting-Dilligence to Craft a given Crafting-Item. 1단게 ~ 5단게 means "Stage 1 ~ Stage 5". Some required Crafting-Materials can also be gathered in the Open-World (these also include "Seeds" which you can introduce and cultivate in your Housing-Area).

The game has a "Proficiency" system (숙련도) for Gathering in the Open-World.
    There are 4 types of Gathering in the Open-World.
    1.) Gathering (채집)
    2.) Mining (채광)
    3.) Woodcutting (벌목)
    4.) Fishing (낚시)

What is a "Proficiency" system (숙련도)? Look at that bar of 150. By Gathering, you acquire "Proficiency" points on the type of Gathering that you did. It will fill up the bar until you reach the cap. Once you reached that cap, you cannot Gather anymore (you have to take a break from it until your Proficiency decreases which takes time). You also acquire "Experience" points (경험치) by Gathering, not just "Proficiency" points. "Experience" points contribute to "Stage" (단게) of a Gathering type. By improving "Stage" of your Gathering type to the next Stage, it increases it's Proficiency limit/cap (which means you will be able to Gather for more before you cap).

Adding Diligence to the Crafting and adding Proficiency to the Gathering are what's pissing me off about this game! It means Crafting and Gathering are time-gated exactly like in Revelation Online. All activities in "Housing" require Diligence. Even Fusing Rune-stones require Diligence. It is a very time-gated game like Revelation Online, and what's worse is the game is not even as deep as Revelation Online or deeper when it comes to Life-Skills. The only thing that makes this game better than Revelation Online is the Graphics, that's it.

4. Squalus

Squalus Ascendant

Thanks @Eternal . I wasn't able to see the pictures but your explanation was very detailed.
    I didn't play Revelation or other games with that kind of system so no idea if it makes the experience worse or not. Even if it's not a good system, still there is the hope that after cbt they change it if people don't like it:rolleyes:

5. Tomime

Tomime Ascendant

Don't worry, diligence sounds a lot like ArcheAge's labor which albeit sometimes a bit frustrating is a good system. Now before a shitstorm occurs about how labor was ****, you have to keep in mind that if AA's cash shop options weren't marketable in the way they were, it would have the same effect of time-gatingly balancing the economy in the game which is a good thing, instead of gigantic masses of gatherable resources being out there on the market rendering gathering uneffective, this way you're gating it so that doesn't occur leading to all professions having value in their items, leading to more money circulation, in other words a healthy economy...

Squalus and CreativeX like this.
  6. Laguna

Laguna Ascendant

I'm not convinced by such system prompting players to spend more time alone in their instanced house. It kinda reminds me the garrison of Warlords of Draenor in World of Warcraft and this creation was one of the worst ever made by Blizzard. Of course, we currently don't know what form it will takes in A:IR exactly nor its impact over the Open World but this impact is guaranteed as long as players have a reason to spend more time in their virtual house.

Housing never truely was admirably managed in the MMO genre and rarely done right without impacting the true nature of this genre.

7. Tomime

Tomime Ascendant

Hmm, I agree that Draenor's garisson was all but properly done housing, but i'd say that ArcheAge with it's open world housing doesn't lock you into your house at all, in fact I remember talking to and trading/working together with my neighbors a lot, for example gathering water in auroria for archeum trees and such, building a guild hall for the guild to hang out in, it was done very well and I personally hope that a mix of open world and phased housing is the way AIR goes as well... phased because of the obvious reason of lack of real estate.

8. Squalus

Squalus Ascendant

First of all thanks @Tomine for your reply, liked what you talked about market.
    To be honest as i said i didn't play the kind of games that people is talking about, but I like games with A LOT of content, with a good market (where you can buy cash items with game's money and where earn money if you know how to buy-sell). And about housing... well, love to play with friends but sometimes i'm alone so like it that there are things like gathering-expertise, because those are things that usually do alone and can win money with that or improve my equipment.

Goemoe likes this.
  9. Laguna

Laguna Ascendant

What we know so far regarding the way A:IR is going to display its world is basically the following (all of this according to the latest CBT and of course still subject to change) :

[​IMG]

- World divided in multiple channels
    - Regions of the world instanced
    - Battlegrounds areas instanced
    - Phasing scattered almost everywhere
    - Housing (probably phased inside a region)
    - Dungeons instanced

I doubt that housing is going to be nowhere near ArcheAge and technically-speaking it's probably going to be phased so the gaming experience will be a lot smoother and players will not have to struggle the same way they did in AA in order to claim a spot.

I really don't know if housing is a great idea in this game, I hope to be wrong but the world of A:IR is obviously going to be divided in a lot of ways so adding more separation between players might not be the best in this overall context.

10. Goemoe

Goemoe Ascendant

There are times to play with other people and times to play on your own. I like to craft, gather stuff, update my gear etc. solo as well. As a crafter you have to buy and sell stuff as well. Housing with some means to grow and collect stuff is a good addition to any MMO ... as long as you don't get hunted down during relaxing solo times ;)

11. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

I completely agree! What you spend your time playing this game and the gameplay that you will experience in this game, are the activities that you do in this game!

An "activity" (noun) according to American standard of English is "something that is being done", and according to British standard of English is "a situation that is happening/occurring"; is an "action in order to achieve something".

It describes what is being performed through the action. It's everything that you do in the game if you are literate!
    As I already described, Life Skills are tied to your Solo-Instanced Housing. Gathering is done in the Open World, but Cultivation of Seeds are done in the Housing. You will farm the Seeds in the Open World for you to introduce those Seeds to your Housing in which you will Cultivate it there and then Harvest them.

Life Skills (except Gathering) are Solo-Instanced Activities!
    Are these the kind of activities (the conditions) in which you want your players to spend their time on playing this "MMORPG"? It's a big deal to make as they are one of the major activities of the game! It's what you will mostly spend your time on! For an MMORPG, you should be promoting Social-experience, not Solo-experience through activities that are open to Player-to-Player Interactions!

If they are Instanced, if they are not, it can be done and deliver very well to the audience of this genre! You are correct that they are rarely done right! Why is that? Because they Instanced them! By Instancing them, it cuts or it limits the Player-to-Player-Interaction in the said activity. It kills the Social-Interaction feature essential to this genre! If it can be done and designed without harming the Social-experience, then with open-mind it's possible!

Everything that you mentioned here are all Instanced activities! Does it sound familiar and remind you of another MMO of theirs? Yes, 'TERA'! Even in TERA, the Open-World is broken in to Public-Instances with Loading-screens. That is what they are willing to pay technically for their Action-targeting! Technical design trade-offs exist because current technology and hardware are limited! You gonna have to make a choice, and it better be the right choice! If you people want them to deliver Action-targeting Combat, expect this game to be the same as TERA, a heavily Instanced game!

Here are some facts:
    *Stationary Ground Guns = Action-targeting
    *Manual Guns of Airships = Action-Targeting
    *Automatic Guns of Airships (controlled by the Pilot of the Airship) = Tab-targeting
    *Airships with Fixed-Targeting Sight of Guns (controlled by the Pilot of the Airship) = Action-targeting (because the Pilot has to aim the Airship).
    *Avatar Handheld Machine Guns = Action-targeting
    *Mechs = Action-targeting
    *Mounts (such as Dragon) = Action-targeting

*Realm vs Realm is 100 vs 100 Instanced.
    *The game (just like TERA) is very much Instanced.
    *Despite all of these, the game still lags so bad!

If you don't believe me, go and watch this and ask yourself the technicalities! If Star Citizen with almost $300M of Budget at the fidelity of their Action-targeting Combat will never come out after it's years of development, and they too are Instancing their PU to make it technically work, what makes you think this game can do it without trade-offs?

We can't have everything, it's not technically possible! I don't like the trade-offs that they made, sacrificing vital MMORPG aspects all for the sake of Action-targeting!

They actually mentioned in one of their Interview that A:IR will have both Instant and Open-World Housing. Life-Skills (except Gathering) are tied to that Solo-Instanced Housing as I already described the Housing (주택) system. To access this Housing, you simply Talk to a specific NPC in the Open-World and you will be teleported to your Housing.
    We are yet to see Open-World Housing in this game and I don't think they are implemented yet. I doubt, based on the fidelity of this game, that such thing is technically feasible! If they can do it, then show me! It's not gonna be a likely feature of this game if you want to think realistically!

Archeage is a Hybrid Sandbox, this game is a Themepark. All the activities in BDO, a pure Sandbox MMO, take place in the Open World. In Archeage, much of the activities take place in the Open World. This game as a Themepark and a technically-limited MMO, much of the activities take place in Private-Instances.

We need to stop comparing Archeage to this game because this game is a Themepark with no Sandbox-element. They share no resemblance and will never have because of different game-designs and technical-designs. Also, don't expect a PVP like Archeage (with all the technical choices A:IR made such as Ballistic Collision Detection, PVP on the scale of Archeage and Revelation Online are not possible).

Eärwen likes this.
  12. Tomime

Tomime Ascendant

Is this solid information? The game looks plenty open world in the screenshots and clips i've seen, you appear to believe it will be something like dragon's nest i guess or soul worker with somewhat of a lobby and sessions for gathering and such maybe like dauntless... If that is true then to the bin with it.... Not trying to be negative here but if it's an mmorpg it should be a proper one we don't need any more of those half assed ones, there's plenty of those, we need a proper competitor to BDO...
    I've seen you around saying same things over and over like a broken record with nobody paying you any mind, and I hope they're right on that.

13. Laguna

Laguna Ascendant

CM Praballo already stated the following some time ago regarding the Open World dimension :

[​IMG]

Also in this video at 14:26 phasing can be seen as well as channels at the top right hand corner :

14. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

I completely agree with this statement, but let's face the facts, this game will never be like Archeage or BDO if we are expecting something similar to those. It's not gonna happen because this game is not a Sandbox. This game is a Themepark MMO. We should expect something within the design of a Themepark whether we like it or not, that is just how you look at it realistically, and personally, I don't like Themeparks.

We can all hope that I am completely wrong, after all, we all want this game to succeed as the state of this genre is deteriorating and we badly need good MMORPGs. Year-after-year, each next-big-thing comes out as a disappointment that they don't even last for an entire year. After everything that have happened and continue to happen in this market, we should have already learned by now to be wary. Let's not be too optimistic, let's be realistic! I know that nothing positive comes out from pessimism, I also know that nothing positive comes out from negative causes such as bad designs. It's just the reality.

The game has an Open-World, they do! But as @Laguna and I already stated, this Open-World is Public-Instanced for the game to be technically possible (they have some sort of Phasings / Loading-screens). As I already stated, there are Action-targeting Combat in this game with Collision Detection of Ballistics despite the Avatar Combat being Tab-targeting. This is why this game needs to be Instanced, it's just not technically possible to have everything! The same as TERA (an MMO with True Action-targeting Combat), their Open-World as well has Phasings. This is the price the game has to pay to have a Combat like this. BDO on the other hand do not have True Action-targeting Combat unlike this game and TERA (a lot of the Combat in BDO are Stat-based which is a good thing because it's an RPG feature), hence their game is technically possible without the need of Instancing.

This Open-World is open to the Public despite the Instancing, but if you paid attention to what I said, everything that you do in this game are your activities. What kind of activities do we have? Dungeons/Raids, Housing/Life-Skills, PVP (Realm vs Realm, Arenas, etc.), Private World Quests in the Open World, - all of these are Private-Instanced activities. If most of the things that you will do in this game are Private activities, not Public, then you will spend your time playing this game by doing Private activities. It doesn't matter if a Public-Instanced Open-World exists - tell me, are you gonna spend most of your time there? Playing the game means doing activities, it's which type of activities they are that matters (Private or Public), not the existence of the Open-World. Tell me, are most of these activities in the Open-World or in separate Private-Instances? If they are mostly not in the Open-World, then the Open-World is not that significant in regards to your gameplay but to holding the persistence of the game, most of your activities will occur in separate Private-Instances and those are what constitute your playtime.

CreativeX likes this.
  15. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

Alright guys. This is how the Housing System works.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrAmr01WwAE8frv.jpg
    "There are individual housing areas located throughout the Harth region and ascendants can move into an empty house after spending some gold."

Source:
    https://twitter.com/AIR_thegame/status/1058388468752097280

Take a look at this picture below. This is one of those Houses in Harth. Do you see that Billboard right outside of the House? You find the same thing in all of the Houses in this game, which means they are the same thing - there is only 1 Housing system.
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...harth_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171110091635
    https://cdn.mmohuts.com/wp-content/gallery/Ascent:-Infinite-Realm/Ascent-Infinite-Realm05.jpg
    https://i0.wp.com/gameplaying.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Nov_17_13_03_14.jpg?fit=1430,645&ssl=1

You talk to this NPC (that NPC that looks like a Panda) which is standing outside of your Open-World House to get inside it. It is a House that is in Harth region of the Open-World, but really, to access it (to go inside it), it's Instanced. This is that Instant Housing (주택) Area that I talked about - it's the same thing. I found this out after I have done the research. So that Open-World Housing and Instant Housing that I talked about that they mentioned in the interview, they are the same thing. Those Housing in Harth are found in the Open-World like in Maplestory 2 (Housing-spots are pre-defined), where you pay gold to claim the spot, where you upgrade the level of that Housing and all of it's components and sub-components using required upgrade Materials and Diligence.

The Housing system in this game works like in Maplestory 2 when it comes to Open-World and claiming spots. This Housing found in the Open-world is Instanced (just like in Maplestory 2). In terms of Progression-system of Housing, like I said, "you can upgrade the level of that Housing and all of it's components and sub-components".

16. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

Some translations:
    On my picture source, there are 2 Panda-looking NPCs standing outside of your Harth House.

One is called the "Residential Manager" (주거지 관리인) and the other is "Raw Material Merchant" (생신 재료 상인). Yes, there is a Merchant-NPC right outside of your House!

When you talk to the "Residential Manager" NPC, these are the choice you get.
    Residential Upgrade (F) - 주거지 업그레이드 (F)
    Building-Construct & Demolition - 건물 건설 및 철거
    Talk - 대화하기
    Cancel - 나가기

17. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

2:24 to 2:41 shows Symbolic Displays (상징물 기단), Pasture for Animal Husbandry (목장), Farm (농장), Arboretum for Trees (수목원), Mine (광산), Pond (연못), and Remove Building (건물 제거) are done in Harth (in the Open-World). In the video, these are the 6 types of Constructions and Activities that you can do in the Open World. In order to Construct in the Open-World, such as Building a Mine as you can see from this video,
    1.) You have to level that Component of the Housing such as Mining.
    2.) With level 1 mining, you unlocked a Construct that is called "lv.1 Mine" (광산 lv.1). This "lv.1 Mine" has an Effect such Production Yield, etc. with their own Stats.
    3.) You can place this lv.1 Mines in open non-occupied cells of land that you own. In this video, these Constructs require Land, and according to "Building Layout", you have a limited Total Land Use of x/10 which you can increase the limit by Upgrading your Housing (probably, I'm guessing here).
    "lv.1 Mine" requires 1 Land according to video - place one of this Construct and you will have 1/10 Total Land Use. This "Total Land Use" is for all the 6 types of Constructions. In this video, the person placed two "lv.1 Pastures" each consuming 1 Land, and one "lv.1 Mine" consuming 1 Land, for a Total of 3/10.

If you will examine this video, these 6 things of Housing Construction and Activities are Open World Activities in Harth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contrary to the above, pause this video on 7:03 and you will see two completely different Panda-NPCs in the city Sunsetville in the continent of Nousgard than what I mentioned from Harth. One of the Panda-NPC is called "Carebear Residential Manager" (Care Bear의 주거지 관리인) and the other is "Collection Merchant" (채집물 상인). Very different from the ones in Harth!

To avoid some confusions: Nousgard Continent and Harth Continent according to post-destruction of the once whole World called Harth are 2 different Continents now.

Pause the video on 9:30, look south-west of the map on the city of Sunsetville and you will see something called "My Residence" (내 주거지) with blue Housing-icon in it. The Manager of this House is called a "Carebear Residential Manager". This House is called "My" (내) Residence, which means only you have access to it, it is Solo-Private Instanced for every player.

From 6:47 to 7:01 of video, watch him click an Icon called "My House" (내집가기) from lower-right IU of the screen and be Instantly teleported to that Carebear House in Sunsetville.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, there are 2 types of Housing,
    #1.) In Sunsetville (the Carebear Housing or My Housing) which is in Nousgard Continent.

It has 7 Component:
    1.) Emblem (상징물)
    3.) Crafting Workshop (재작 건물)
    4.) Farm (농장)
    5.) Arboretum for Trees (수목원)
    6.) A Mine (광산)
    7.) Pond (연못)

The "Crafting Workshop" has 5 components:
    1.) Weapon Crafting (무기 제작대)
    2.) Armor Crafting (방어구 제작대)
    3.) Alchemy (연금술 선반)
    4.) Cooking (요리 화덕)
    5.) Airship Construction (비행선 제작대)

#2.) In Harth Housing region which is in Harth Continent.

It has 6 Constructions and Activities:
    1.) Symbolic Displays (상징물 기단)
    3.) Farm (농장)
    4.) Arboretum for Trees (수목원)
    5.) Mine (광산)
    6.) Pond (연못)

*It doesn't have the Crafting Workshop.
    *You spend Gold in order to move to an empty house in this region.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's very confusing because little is known about this game! We can only examine and interpret what we have available.

18. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

What I said earlier regarding only having 1 Housing System turned out to be wrong. I'll take those back, but this side of the Forum do not let you edit/delete posts. There are 2 Housing Systems, that is something to remember. One is in Sunsetville in Nousgard Continent (Instanced Activities), and one is in Harth Continent (Open World Activities).