[Suggestion] Costume/Armour design concept

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by hurfmurf, Sep 29, 2018.

1. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I often made remarks about female armour designs in Tera and also wrote something about sorceress' clothing in A:IR, always using pictures from the internet, which aren't always useful to express my opinion in detail. Recently I came upon a picture which I really liked from the general art design and which inspired me to go ahead and try to create something (somewhat) original by myself to try and show what kind of armour design I'd like to see in the game.

This is the original picture, which became my initial inspiration:

[​IMG]

So let's keep this as a sort of baseline for the general geometry and body shape.

And that's what I came up with:

Front

[​IMG]

Back(no colouring by intent):

[​IMG]

And a remark about boot options:

[​IMG]

High heels are lame, especially for supposedly heavily armoured characters.

Lore-wise these designs are meant for Dragon Riders and airbike pilots, thus for characters which would need to wear something fairly lightweight, but protective. They shoud look sexy and attractive yet not as immersion-breaking as armours in Tera, for example.

Colours on the pictures aren't representative in general and are meant to emphasize the difference in materials first and foremost. I prefer black leather, black or white fur and gold and steel as base materials.

Some expanations:

The base for all three armours is supposed to consist of a corset and thigh-high boots, both made of sturdy black leather.

Cloth

Skin on the upper part of the thighs and hips is supposed to be bare, but if this shloud come out as being problematic (lol), I suggest to use fishnet fabric, just like on the leather design, just with holes twice as big. Cloth offers less protection, after all.
    Otherwise some fancy frills could help to cover some otherwise too reveaing parts.

The feathers I think coud look similar to those on the following picture:
    [​IMG]

And for the cloth on the upper body 'I suggest to use something like the character on the left of the following picture is wearing:

[​IMG]

In addition to several magical gems placed on different parts of the body, the character also wear a magical amulet.

In the end this design, together with a funky ocular, is supposed to look magical, yet steampunk-y.

Leather

The picture is self explaining. I think that letting the goggles sit in the hair while giving the character a breathing mask helps to set the facial part of this design apart from the other two. Also, often players of assassin character like to give their characters some sort of masks and thus this arrangement seems like a good choice in terms of looks.

The breast"plate" is supposed to be from a reinforced leather that is framed by either gold or some other shiny metal.

The emblem on the shoulderpads and on the breastplate is meant to be a some sort of a dragon depiction/emblem, but can be anything else nice looking, and serves simply to add some visual variety to the armour.

Plate

The visor is supposed to be a cross between something like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breastplate is from metal and I imagine it looking like the breastplate in this picture:

[​IMG]

That fancy golden structure below the corset is something that I tried to suggest for Tera, but could not explain suffienciently well back then(which then lead to one somewhat silly-looking armour design, I guess).
    The character is supposed to wear skintight pants(yoga pants basically) and on top of these wear something akin to a metallic bikini piece that serves as a female-styled codpiece meant for protection and which also emphasizes the attractiveness of a female body shape.

So basically this, just in metal/gold(potentially NSFW):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the fur on the shoulders, I took an inspiration from a certain very good looking Castanic armour from Tera, one of my favourites.

Gloves, shoulderpads and knee-high boots are supposed to be made from metal like steel.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Well, that recent LoL music video keeps on giving, and I finally have a perfect picture for the magical costume idea(for the Elementalist class) that I've been thinking about for some time but for which I was too bad at drawing and a bit too lazy to post here.

This one:

[​IMG]

For one, this has these nice magically glowing decorative claws for the hands. But most importantly the glowing threads covering the dress are just right for a magically imbued fashion, IMO.

I think it might be a pretty cool idea to create a corstume which is covered in such magical golden threads which not only glow in a decent way(ie noticeable but not like a Christmas tree) and also pulse with light, looking like they would conduct some sort of magical energy throughout the dress.

Here is an example for the pulse effect and the inspiration for my suggestion:

3. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

Interesting suggestions. Reading through your post though I couldn’t help but feel a lot of the suggestions were to sexualize the armor. I don’t say that negatively, I love me some sexy armor sometimes. I just don’t feel that the suggestions above fit the theme that A:IR is going for and would be sexualizing for the sake of sexualizing which the devs have already confirmed that they would not do.

Plus . . . This . . .

6B1727E2-B540-4AE5-8829-3CE38036ED48.jpeg