Special Server Concept Feedback Collection

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by A:IR Crew, Dec 15, 2017.

1. A:IR Crew

A:IR Crew Administrator A:IR Crew

I am glad I could explain this more clearly, thank you for muddling through it with me and everyone else.

No thanks are needed, if I were not on this side of the table I would be on your side of the table with the same questions, enthusiasm, and hope. We are all here because we want to go on an adventure, to fight, compete, cooperate to reach new achievements, and if nothing else to enjoy the time we invest in this game.

Mata, Stricken and Atorasu like this.
  2. Delu

Delu Ascendant

What i could imagine is that the special servers here have a similar concept of Diablo 3 Seasons with a seasonal charakter (maybe not that big?) where you have different goals/achievements, too and if you reach the goals or achievements you can gain "Rewards". This Rewards could here be for example: titles, crafting recipes - maybe for furnitures, Costumes, Pets, Mounts, Decoration stuff or something like that - nothing with better stats, just the same stats (or maybe no stats) as at the normal servers, but eventually with different/special looks, which shows: "hey i was there and have helped a lot!" ^.^

Just my Imagination ;)
    Edit: Sry if i repeat something, which already have been said, but for me its not that easy to describe what i mean, because english isn't my native language^^

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. Atorasu

Atorasu Ascendant

That would be very nice, I believe for stuff after the CBT phases. It encourages players to partake in "tests" on these Special Servers and be rewarded in the way of cosmetics, titles, etc. I'd definitely be up for it.

Greeniewolf and Xou like this.
  4. Nattya

Nattya Ascendant

if I would like to to change the server, would that be possible and free of charge? are we discussing the testing phase only? what happens to characters when such non-perma server goes away?

Generally, I like this idea a lot, especially if we are free to choose between the servers at any time.

Greeniewolf and Chi like this.
  5. Squirrel

Squirrel Ascendant

These servers are a 'special side thing', they're not the main servers. It's like an official private server with the numbers turned up and some different rules.
    It's like deadman mode for Runescape essentially.

Does that make sense?

6. Nattya

Nattya Ascendant

no, I've never seen anything like this :p but a separate server that I can't switch at any time when I feel like playing differently is not a fun idea. I like how BDO handles servers and something like that with a possibility to switch would be fine.

7. Squirrel

Squirrel Ascendant

Don't think of it as 'another server', think of it as another game mode. There will still be whatever 'servers/channels/etc' for the main game mode, they're just testing side add-on stuff basically.

8. Nattya

Nattya Ascendant

oh I see :0 I have no opinion then, concept is a bit foreign to me.

9. Atorasu

Atorasu Ascendant

They could essentially set it up so your character can go on these "Special Servers", but not be able to take anything they've earned back to the main experience on the other Primary servers.

Greeniewolf likes this.
  10. Upheat

Upheat Ascendant

I think servers like these will be fun.... but not on launch. We'll be too busy with the real game on launch.

I think the perfect time to release servers like these would be about 6 months into the game, or whenever a large amount of players are at end game. Or maybe in the coming weeks to a big release to pass the time and build hype?

11. climbatize

climbatize Ascendant

A built in feature for feedback sounds awesome!!
    Majority of people only go to forums when they actually have an issue , get it fixed and never go back , its kinda always the minority that shouts around on forums.

A detailed and a simple survey in game is much better , plus you can always incentivize people to use it via a reward system.

12. Neith

Neith Ascendant

Why not have both options on one server? I like both PvP and PvE and would focus on one or the other depending on how I feel that day. Sucks when you have to be pigeonholed into one play style.

13. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

With that said, what benefit does the special server concept offer to the game/community? As most others have said, it will drastically segment the community at a given time. This will either force those into them because of lack of activity on the normal servers, or will cause them to leave. It seems like this development time to create a special server could be better served implementing features on a permanent server that everyone can benefit from.

14. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    I kind of agree with that, unless there is something that I am missing or just not understanding correctly.
    What are the benefits exactly, other than providing another experience for players on a "seperate world/instance" of the game? Why play there on something temporary if you could make permanent progress on the real servers?

15. A:IR Crew

A:IR Crew Administrator A:IR Crew

This platform stands to benefit the community in multiple ways in my opinion. At a core level it operates like any other Public Test Server, however, in addition, it offers an avenue for player driven content ideas to be better explored. You can quickly think of many reasons why a Test Server is a good idea, and yes you are correct players will come to this type of server for a limited amount of time, as they would with a PTS to try new patches or content.

If you are asking more specifically about the perks a specific character would be given, we are not at a stage to address that, but speaking personally I would not want the rewards to offer an advantage, which leaves cosmetics, titles etc as options.

I hope this answers the questions given, remember I am not here to defend or deny this concept, only to encourage discussions.

16. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

Do you think the same system could be implemented but in the form of special events on their current servers? I kind of think of it like the current holiday events you see in some games. This would allow everyone to have their cake and eat it too. If these event areas were instanced on the same servers, then there really are no restrictions on what could be tested in them, but still provide for that safe avenue you're seeking.

With that said, I can agree and am happy to hear you say that if the team did go through with a PTS type event server the rewards would offer no advantage.

17. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

After reading through the announcement and the thread I feel like more detail would be very helpful before receiving feedback. However, my initial thoughts are positive and I can already think of a few ways this could be beneficial to the community if it is implemented successfully (or as some would say 'correctly').

Questions / Would be great to know:
    • How does one become an Operator? Is there a registration or vetting process? To make sure that the players interested in spinning up a special server (as and Operator) are providing quality content for the community and are not just going to abandon the project? Effectively having a Special Server that is doing nothing but taking up data space that could be used by another player/operator to provide quality content to the community. Is there a quest chain we have to complete? A special in game item to activate? Etc . . . I think you see where I'm going with this.
    • The Player (As the Operator) gets to create a special server . . . Now what? For this I'm looking for more detail on exactly HOW these special servers would get implemented. Would the player work with a special Bluehole or Kakao team on the rule-sets, duration, and other elements? Are we able to create a script of events to happen over a period of time / as objectives are completed? Or will it be a drag and drop system for the rule-sets (PvP vs PvE, Extra Loot checkbox, etc.)
    • What Power does the Operator have after the server launches? I know you said there will be a system in place to make sure the Operator doesn't abuse their powers. But what about the powers they will have. Some of my favorite memories in past MMOS (waaaaay back in the day) was when GMs would perform server events by spawning raid bosses or an army of enemies for the players to defeat. Would the operators also have this power? Basically . . . would the Operator be an MMO equivalent to a Tabletop DM?
    • How long are the servers available? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year? Will it be a standard time or can the server life length change based on what the Operator wants to accomplish? What if the Operator stands up a server the the player base REALLY enjoys? Could a successful Special Server become an established server if the "right" criteria was met? On the opposite end, is there a minimum amount of activity a server would need to have to stay active? Could a server get shut down before their 'life span' was up?
    • How many are available at one time? Will there be a set number? Or will there be a waiting list?
    • Control on who joins? Would an Operator be able to set limitations on who and who cannot join a server (Only friends lists folks, ban others trying to interrupt the goals of the server, etc.)

Initial Thoughts:

Now that I've bombarded you with a ton of questions, I know you may not be able to answer them all at this time. They are not meant to grill you for information, but more get some clarification on some points that I feel like could work (and be great) or sit as a pain point for the community. Initially I LOVE this idea and my brain begins a laundry list of 'events' or server types that would benefit from this server setup. For example (and I KNOW I will catch grief and flak for this) . . . Role-players. I am a proud role-player and we often organize special events and story-lines that fit within a game world. These types of events could THRIVE in this system if it is what I think (and hope) it is, especially if there is a possibility for scripted events with multiple objectives and 'bosses' implemented by the Operator/DM. For us, this could help bring our love of Tabletop RPGs into the MMO world.

With that said, there is more I would need to know about this system before providing further feedback. Right now I'm full of "I hope this is included" type feelings and thoughts. So, some further detail would be wonderful. :D

Olympion, Lirulin, Chi and 2 others like this.
  18. SielAlseif

SielAlseif Ascendant

I love the idea, I think if some of these events on PTS get a high positive feedback they could be add to the standard server and about People asking for server PvP or PvE, it can be easily fixed with a PvP On/Off option for Open World áreas, with a Couldown after change On or Off to avoid toxic, or make a Third Faction, a Neutral for PvE players.

19. Laguna

Laguna Ascendant

Interesting concept when usual PvP and PvE servers are just imposing their rules initially chosen by developpers. Having an operator player (also a possible target !) acting for the community and then modifying several elements to galvanize both middles is an idea with good potential and I'm looking forward to see how that will evolved in the next few months.

20. TheFirstOrder

TheFirstOrder Ascendant

We need both of server types as one server type that includes both features. We saw how these Korean games are affected negatively in EU servers who has seperated pvp and pve servers, such as Tera Online etc :(. Shortly, please do not split anything but bring everything into one server^^.