Special Server Concept Feedback Collection

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by A:IR Crew, Dec 15, 2017.

1. A:IR Crew

A:IR Crew Administrator A:IR Crew

If you have not had a chance to read our latest announcement about the Machinery of A:IR make sure to check it out <Here>. This thread will serve to collect feedback about the update, although you are still welcome to make threads about specific points!

2. Shaihuby

Shaihuby Ascendant

i just wanted to know if there will be only special servers? Or will there be normal servers like we used to play in all mmos and those special servers?
    Moreover will it be possible to get a "ticket" to transfer your character on a special server for a limited time? Like 1 week ticket
    thanks

3. Delu

Delu Ascendant

I am not really interested in PVP, but this system sounds kinda interesting. So i think i would try it out ^.^
    It would be nice to know, if you have to create a new character or if you "copy" your nomal character to the special servers?

For me this sounds there are normal and special servers ;)

Shaihuby likes this.
  4. Trivo

Trivo Ascendant

I would love to see a PvE server aswell. With a couple more housing plots and a few different design items.

Greeniewolf, Mata and Delu like this.
  5. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    Uhhh I'm rather skeptical about this...

If these would be permament servers, then I would NOT like this implemented.
    Because I hate splitting up communities, and if there is channels in the game which there more than likely is, then it only further split people apart. (I understand not everyone likes PvP/PvE but I think there has to be a bit of both to a successful game)

But if these server concepts are something like an instance, or are just temporary "worlds" we can dive in whenever we like, then I wouldn't see any issue with it and it could spice things up a little.

If that is the case though (temporary), then why would people play on them? I think the majority would be looking up on progressing their characters and accounts on something that is permament instead of it being temporary.

Perhaps these concepts could be used as some kind of testing evironment (PTR) but I don't think it would make a lot of sense as I believe you want your testing environment to be reflective of what your live servers are.

It can be that I understand these concepts wrong or that it is still very vague on how they intend to be used, but in it's currrent for I would be against it.

I think A:IR should be A:IR, and not split itself into two (or more) different versions of itself...

Rosehj, Alzak and Shaihuby like this.
  6. Atorasu

Atorasu Ascendant

I agree with xDrac, as I feel this would split the communities, however...

There are two ways I could see this being 'beneficial'. Have it on a weekly cycle, so one week the server is PvP Focused and the second week it is Progression focused, it then caters to both types of players and the change can take place on the weekly maintenance that the server has. I feel this would be better added after the server has been alive for a few months, as well, rather than start ing off the bat this way. This gives all of your planned current userbase a chance to test out everything A:IR has to offer and it also will benefit new users who step into the game after the games initial launch.

The other option is to separate both and do an additional server which offers both options.

I do have an inquiry about this feature (I'm quite behind in announcements), does this mean we can move characters from server to server (much like Black Desert?) or will it be a permanent residence until my character has reached a certain level or goal and is then moved?

Lirulin likes this.
  7. Dracomon

Dracomon Ascendant

..."Hidden Loot Box Event"? >_> Que pasa?

8. Ayuna

Ayuna Ascendant

Mhm, it might be fun for those interested in open world pvp to have a special PK server, but overall I probably wouldn't participate since I like my progress to be permanent and not be deleted. It would also depend on how often those special servers would be open. I think one thing that would be good would be (once the game has been out for a while) to have a special leveling server where newbies could level faster then transfer their character, to interest them in the game. Or once a new class comes out to do a fast track server. Overall, I would have to see how these special servers would impact the population and the game overall before passing judgement.

Greeniewolf and Atorasu like this.
  9. Tez

Tez Ascendant

Software Engineer
    DO NOT split servers.... I will elaborate more later once I home ...

[Place Holder]

10. A:IR Crew

In the Announcement, the second sentence explains the following.

"These Special Servers offer modified settings, a limited duration, and specific themes or goals."
    • Modified Settings - EXP, PK Rewards, Bones Dungeon Loot, etc
    • Limited Duration - The server has a limited lifespan and then goes away
    • Theme/Goals - This ties back in to point 1; when the goal is met the server is done
    Further, into the post I said

"...progress you make on these servers does not necessarily communicate directly back to the primary servers"
    • This means you are not going to go to a special server for an event and come back to the PRIMARY servers with a major advantage.
    @Tez No need to panic, I am not discussing the standard server structure, I am not ready to go into that, but to make sure nothing else is misinterpreted, when I said "Primary Servers" I am referring to EU & NA, beyond that I am not discussing the normal server setup as we are simply not there yet. If you want to explain to the community why it is bad to split servers by all mean, just start up a different topic.

These are not normal servers, this is a new concept and in its current format, if you are not interested in it, you could simply behave like it doesn't exist in the game and you will not suffer any loss.

11. Atorasu

Atorasu Ascendant

I think the concept is a good one, but I think examples could help players understand the different opportunities this can give and what type of things these will be used for.

If they do not give the character any benefits once the server event has finished, then what is the point? If someone has worked to gain an advantage of these event servers with special bonuses, etc. would they get only the additional stuff they earned carried over to the main, core experience?

If players wanted to do PvP, they'd want to do it on their character and benefit from those upgrades and bonuses in the core experience itself, rather than branching it off into a separate experience (even if it is on the same character). From my understanding of the concept, these servers will be accessible with our characters from the core "Primary Servers", I guess much like the Black Desert experience. If this is merely for testing balancing, and testing purposes then it is a fantastic idea and it makes sense that nothing carries over - but if it is for split experiences, I don't think it is unless players earnings are transferred over to the "Primary Server".

What would be the goal of Bluehole and Kakao with these servers? Would it be for testing purposes, or would it be for the core game experience? If the latter, what is hoped to be given to the player base for the achievement of said theme/goal.

xDrac likes this.
  12. Stricken

Stricken Ascendant

I think a PVP server, and PVE server would be a great option. I don’t feel like this would be “splitting” the community though like I see in the comments above? I have played a lot of MMO’s where the community is split because everyone is made to play a specific way (even though they are on the same servers) and when one of the sides (PVE / PVP) doesn’t like something that has been implemented (new patches, new rules, etc.) It causes more problems and makes the community toxic towards each other, only because some people like to PVP and others like to PVE. When archeage Opened up server transfers what eventually happened is the community automatically split themselves, the PvPer’s; by choosing servers that had large PVP guilds / nations on them, and the PvEer’s; servers that were considered “dead”. I know for a fact that a lot of people would love the open world PvP / Pk server. I also know a lot of people would love to experience more PVE. Let them chose what path they take!

Greeniewolf, Mata and Delu like this.
  13. Atorasu

Atorasu Ascendant

The discussion isn't for their "Primary Servers", but instead for their "Special Servers".

I am hoping that they decide to go with what Black Desert has where players can just "change server" and see that their characters are on all of them. Players can then choose that one day they may want PvP, may want PvP or may want a mix.

14. A:IR Crew

The same would be said of any Public Test Server from other games, on our side it allows us to try new ideas (yours and ours) as well as give you the player a break from the everyday routine. I am not saying rewards are off the table, I am saying advantageous rewards are not intended. Things like titles, costumes, mounts that do not give you the edge would be a suitable reward, as well as fame & glory which some play for.

Look at it from my perspective as an example. If we start seeing an increase in feedback saying dungeons need some work or sieges, we can setup such a server with specific goals or events to collect very targeted data, this helps make change happen. It allows us and the Developers a much deeper insight into how the game is being played, which sometimes is pretty far from what was intended.

We are not looking to force this on anyone, the concept is to provide more options and greater depth to the relationship between you the players and the teams working to bring it to you. The goal is to do this in such a way that players can be truly involved, participate, and enjoy this process so it is self-sustaining.

Sygiria, Greeniewolf, Lirulin and 4 others like this.
  15. Stricken

Stricken Ascendant

I believe what Jouska is referring to is specific servers that navigate away from the standard server rules. For example, say a player wants open loot / pk and the whole sever to be focused on PvP. I wouldn’t expect the primary servers to have this rule set. However if ther was special servers for a select group of people that allowed things like this. Or for PvE aswell. I think this would be an awesome addition opening up the game to a wider group of people. Instead of having “primary” servers offer a little of both PvE and PvP.

16. Stricken

Stricken Ascendant

By the way @Jouska I am impressed at the communication you have had with the NA community, considering the game is still only testing in KR. Thanks you! I hope this continues into the NA CBT and Launch. It would be a great change and I believe I can speak for most MMO players when I say communication on MMO’s has been terrible over the past few years. Keep up the great work!

17. A:IR Crew

For now, lets agree to two terms.

• Normal Servers
      • These are Normal Servers, what you think of for all MMOs. We have no comment at the moment if there will be channels, multiple servers, their locations or any other details. This will be a topic for a different time, not here, not this thread.

Sygiria, Greeniewolf, Mata and 2 others like this.
  18. A:IR Crew

Just to toss this out there as well, I want to use a built-in game survey window to gather this type of feedback in-game along with our forums, so it is not limited to those of us willing to brave the forums.

Greeniewolf, Chi, xDrac and 2 others like this.
  19. Stricken

Stricken Ascendant

<3

20. Atorasu

Atorasu Ascendant

This makes a lot more sense now for the Special Server concept in itself. I didn't feel the original thread was clear that it would be used throughout the CBT phases or for the main experience, it also wasn't that clear that it would allow players to benefit from experiences which could make it into the main experience itself such as tweaks to specific dungeons, bonuses for PvP etc. I feel splitting the Special Servers by PvP and PvE will be the best option as it allows the people who are more advanced (and who are happier to partake in those activities) to help the part of the game they love to succeed and advance to heights that everyone on the publishing and developing teams and the players are hoping for.

I also feel a third category of a joint 'Special Server' which offers both of those experiences would also be beneficial. Some games have things in PvE which is impacted by PvP, and vice versa. As we do not have details on the Primary Server structures, I feel it would be beneficial for us to test these mechanics together on a "Special Server" whether that be in the CBTs, or in the future.

Thank you for clearing up the concept, Jouska. :)

Greeniewolf and Stricken like this.