SEA OBT Feedback & Review

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by KR JUN, Apr 28, 2019.

1. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

There are some details concerning airship combat that stuck out as fairly odd and annoying when watching several streams.

Aearial monsters always shoot at the current location of the player ship, not taking movement into account. This results in almost all streamers just doing their circles around the monsters over and over again, which IMO gets tiring fast. There isn't any other maneuvering other than circling around the monsters at all.
    IMO this definitely needs to change by letting the monsters utilize predicted fire mechanics for some attacks to force the players to change airship's movement direction more often.

Another thing I found a bit odd is the absence of an afterburner/speed booster mechanic for the airships(maybe I missed something?). I think a short short speed boost(with a corresponding module etc) would tie into the point above very well and add some more dynamics to the airship gameplay, allowing to dodge some attacks more effectively and utilize a more varied flight trajectory.

Both of the points above should ideally result in a more varied and more dynamic airship gameplay, especially where it comes to flight trajectory - instead of doing circles in a single plane one could go below or above the targets as well, change flight height during the battle more often etc. And if the engine allows it, maybe this is where the momentum mechanics could be introduced: when using the speed boost, you would go fast in one direction but turning and changing directions during the boost would result in some drift. IMO that could be a bit more immersive to play with.

2. deathcoy

deathcoy Ascendant

Just a couple of thoughts on AIR. Mostly negative.
    AIR was a fun game at first, but after awhile the cons stack up and became jarring.

1. Mystic and Healing. Its obvious that the overhaul from tab targeting to action oriented combat was done half *** or at best unfinished. I think everyone knows it by now, lack of target lock and other Mystic/Healing issues. Also the entire Healing mechanic is flawed in my opinion. Healing feels more like a support dps rather than a true healer, kinda like Guild Wars 2 but worse. I've main Tank and Heals in MMOs for almost 2 decades, i strongly feel that the healer part of the Holy Trinity is done wrong.

2. Flying and Ships. Clunky as hell. Ships get stuck to flying BAMs and insta kill. Your airship can't dive, basically the entire xyz axis is messed up. Even Aion Online, a stupidly old game did 360 flying better.

3. Loot boxes. We already have to content with drop rate, enchant rng etc. Now you stack loot box rng on players. This game is worse off than p2w classics(during those days) like MU Online, Cabal etc.

4. Lack of PvP incentives and mechanics to encourage open world PvP in a open world PvP game. Lots of missed opportunities, most obvious is the Trading system, maybe implement trade runs to encourage PvP. Archeage did an awesome job on PvP side. AIR has the vast PvP oriented world like in Archeage but little mechanics in place to encourage PvP. Arena, battlefields, pvp WQ are carebear stuff, you cant rely on them to promote true all out PvP, they're only for epeen brag rights, dial down on instance PvP, make them useless and only to pass time. Don't allow players to teleport to dungeons, make players walk to the entrance. Put in a mandatory contested open world PvP events or quests like Archeage Hasla or Halcyona. Theres so many options. Its a waste to see AIR empty everywhere, just like TERA Online. Imo this is the make or break for this game. This needs to be remedied asap.

5. Leveling grind. I personally don't mind but i see lots of peeps having issues with this. In a PvP MMO, especially open world, i feel its best to let players hit max level asap. Peeps won't volunteer if they don't stand a chance. Again i'll compare this with Archeage(cos i personally feel AA had the best true PvP in MMOs, well less the p2w gear dependent stuff), its actually pretty easy to level, AA focused more on end game than the leveling which i feel is relevant in today's MMOs, people don't like MU Online or Rohan Online ridiculous level grinds.

6. Dungeon locks. I absolutely hate this. There are plenty ways to monetize game mechanics without too much detrimental effects. Stop funneling dungeon seekers to cash shops. More importantly this kills the social and grouping aspect of MMOs. At the very least lock loot drops and not entry counts. Let players run dungeons as many times as they want so they can help friends and guildies but lock their drops instead, ala WoW.

7. Forced to run low level dungeons for collections. This is probably the only MMO that does this. We don't have all day to play, at the very least, throw some incentives for vets carrying newbies if thats your intention of forcing players to run all low level dungeons daily.

8. Stance system. Pointless. You tried to reinvent the wheel but end up with a square. Looks cool but has 0 functionality. You don't have combo mechanics like in Bless Online(to be frank it sucks too) to augment the mechanic. Seriously, stance system in AIR is barebones and not fleshed out. Essentially what is the stance system in AIR? Final Fantasy XIV with controller, not enough buttons on controller so yea have a stance system. Hello? Why force console nonsense on PC? Furthermore its been proven countless times that stance systems don't work in MMOs. Unresponsiveness in stance swapping, lag makes stance switching all the more deadly, why make a straightforward skill bar system unnecessarily complicated and forceably lock out the average player, peeps stagnant on single stance, can't watch cooldowns. Just make every skill available right in front of your eyes dammit.

hurfmurf likes this.
  3. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I'm am also not really overly happy about what I've seen from character creator videos. Anything other than the default body looks a bit unnatural in terms of proportion(like a stiff barbie doll) and the default itself is just a fatty midget with tiny tits and flat butt.

Basically what I want in terms of body geometry is this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This really isn't anything unreasonable.
    And this is what we get:

[​IMG]

You try to make the breast bigger - instant topedo tits. Try to make the bottom a bit rounder and less flat - instant regular fatty with fat belly.
    In the end every character I've seen looks the same. It is certainly possible that no one bothered too much to spend some time in the character creator during the beta, but I really haven't seen a single video with an actually unique character at all.

4. löngun illi

löngun illi Ascendant

Hey KR JUN,

Very good opinion piece! thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree with everything you mentioned.

hope everyone is having a good day ;)