Prioritize Optimization & Combat before launch in 2019.

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by Mox, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Mox

Mox Ascendant

A:IR have wonderful Graphics, but Optimization is kinda disappointing Since UE3 have it's limitation this was kinda sad to see.. If you prioritize optimization and combat rather then marketing a new hot graphically looking game that's going be a wonderful choice and beneficial to Kakao Games (Publisher) to inform bluehole about this.

The fall down to each Korean game is either optimization or combat, it feels clunky in perspective of playing Tera online that been developed by Bluehole studio. At launch Tera Online wasn't amazing and it took them at least 6 to 12 months to iron down those mess. by that time there's people did leave..

I don't know, but every Korean developers that try to make it into mmorpg genre seems to fail, but each failure can turn into success if they make the optimization butter smooth and combat doesn't feel clucky, heck if optimization and combat going be butter smooth at launch it can be hands down a good experiences for everyone.

I'd rather to see A:IR success more than Black Desert Online,Bless online and other Korean knock off.
    But I wouldn't get my hopes up, cause apparently marketing is more important than optimization.
    As for game I'd like to see it as buy to play no pay 2 win.

Please @A:IR Crew Forward this to your Bosses at KakaoGames

Thank you.

Arthenics, Triplebutterfly and Alyria like this.
  2. Shion

Shion Ascendant

I saw Blade and Soul is getting a graphical update from UE3 to UE4. That's an interesting news for all UE3 MMO's.

I think the key to A:IR success is to not let toxic youtubers get in to next CBT. They are the one ruining Bless right now.

3. Arthenics

Arthenics Ascendant

I watched some videos at the start of Bless. I didn't even listen them, what I saw was enough for me.
    All the premium, considering how old the game looks plus bad optimization (I should write "because of bad optimization", a few succeed to get a nice result, except how characters looks : plastic like in a realistic environment huh?), my decision was... well no, never mind, let's wait A:IR.

(When you see how old Bless looks on a 1080Ti when I compare with BDO or FFXIV on a RX580... it is utterly disppointing, considering the cinematics and what the game was supposed to be able to offer, especially after a rework.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  4. Triplebutterfly

Triplebutterfly Ascendant

What graphical updates are you talking about? I saw only UE4 for mobile.
    Bless had 96% down votes on steam, I don't think youtubers have something to do with it

5. Shion

Shion Ascendant

https://mmopulse.com/news/blade-soul-will-convert-to-unreal-engine-4-graphic-change-looks-fantastic

As for Bless: https://store.steampowered.com/app/681660/Bless_Online/ - 54% of 5802 user reviews for this game are positive.

Let look at Black Desert: https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/ 53% positive in the last 30 day. 68% Positive in 1 year.

Youtubers have a lot to do with it.

One even gone as far as trash A:IR recently:

Take a note of this Kakao EU. Don't let Cryy get in to the next CBT for A:IR. The guy is a total cancer for A:IR.

6. Triplebutterfly

Lol I've seen this video, I love the concept of A:IR but these people, the youtubers are talking without affection to the game.
    They talk about the flaws and they are right, we as players hoping for the best so we're not mentioning the flaws.
    Youtubers are necessary in my opinion so big companies like Bluehole and Kakao will listen.

7. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

Happy Monday Everyone. There is a lot to unpack in this thread already so I'm going to try to give my 2 cents to each point made.

In regards to the OP : I agree with everything said. Understanding that UE3 has specific limitations when it comes to optimization (especially when paired with DX9) is a bit concerning. So I would urge the developers to concentrate on Optimization early on for as smooth a first experience as possible when A:IR finally launches.

There is more at work here than just "This graphics card is more powerful than THAT graphics card" I'll admit I'm not an expert on the utilization of software, graphics engines, and hardware, but I know that the 1080Ti is an extremely powerful graphics card but it might have some trouble with the previous generations of graphics engines in some cases. Where as an older graphics card (built during the time the engine was the primary used) there are less troubles with rendering and FPS. For example, in Bless Online I run with a 970 and haven't experienced less than 45 or so FPS during my play experience. Meanwhile other gamers who brag about their beast of a gaming PC say the game is practically rendered unplayable because of the low FPS. And honestly? While the game does have some bland zones, others are absolutely gorgeous. I also think it is important to state here that amazing, top of the line graphics, does not automatically equal a good game. Take some of the MMOs of old Ultima Online, EQ, and the ones from those generations. Not up to date graphics by any means, however they still have a massive following because of the quality of gameplay over the graphics. And yes I know both of the games mentioned in my previous statement received graphical upgrades in the past, but they are still no where near the graphic 'standard' that many gamers want today.

I'm not sure when you gathered your information, but when I checked the steam ratings the game had a 31% approval rating and over the course of the next week, after the developers started addressing issues by the players, the approval rating continued to grow. This means that while negative reviews were coming in after the initial day a larger number of positive reviews were submitted to counter balance the initial wave of negativity by the 'quick jumpers' who requested their funds back. But, this is getting a little off topic. :D

When it comes to Youtube reviewers I lost my trust a long time ago. The individual specifically mentioned in your post shows, to me, a pattern of behavior that indicates he provides positive reviews for games he is sponsored for and harsh reviews for the games he is not. (Take the RO hype train he started for example.)

I agree that it is 100% critical that players communicate the flaws back to the developers. However, I think I know what Shion was getting at in their original statement. Many of the Youtube Reviews hop on the 'bandwagon' of the common consensus of the game (or the thought of the first big reviewer), this is 100% my opinion and experience. Also, I think it is pretty obvious the video linked was a 'click bate' type video and doesn't hold much insight into A:IR online, it serves more as a complaining video imho than a constructive critical review. Saying Game A = Game B when you can't even remember who the developer is shows me you didn't do your homework. Sadly, many people follow these Youtube Reviewers and take their word as gospel. Me however, I play the game and form my own opinion.

----------------------------------------------------------

Okay points unpacked so let me say again. Optimization and Combat are numero uno important!

Shion and Israh like this.
  8. Triplebutterfly

I gathered the information from the first days of the launch, which probably things have changed.

About youtubers and developers subject,
    It is important that players will communicate the flaws back to the developers, most of the times developers wont care about the players voice.
    Let's take A:IR for example, NA/EU crave for an MMORPG and A:IR KR forums are dead, literally dead, yet the developers will not listen to what we want but what the korean community want.

I didn't agree with Cryyy that posted that video because he doesn't have enough information to make such a video and I did comment my thoughts in his video comment section but on the other hand he doesn't need to be nice to the developers and read everything before he makes a video, he needs to be brutal and merciless to the developers even if he's not 100% right, someone need to shake them, to show them if they will make mistakes it will be judged and public.
    People are sick of the crappy *** games that keep coming like we have no standards, cash grabbing the community that always hope this game will be The Game.

9. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

I think you missed it in my post where I agreed with you. Players should 100% communicate back to the developers and developers should listen to the players feedback. Where my issue was is with the blanket unimaginative statements ("Game A is Game B with Lipstick" on for example - how is that providing proper feedback to the devs?), misinformed reviews or misinformation spread by these individuals (raving about a game because the video is sponsored by the publisher for example - EOS review).

Anyway . . . .

We can still have a smooth game with the UE3 engine if optimized correctly. Since the developers already pushed back the date to work on some items needing help based on player feedback I'd like to think that they are listening. On the combat topic, I would like to see, even if it is tab target, the option for action camera settings (moving the mouse moves the camera). It is the one feature I liked out of the Action Combat craze.

10. Arthenics

Arthenics Ascendant

@Alyria

Right, it happens. Most up-to-date hardware can have difficulties with older softwares but Bless system requirerments are GTX1060/RX580 recommanded. It usually means greater systems give even better result (now, talking about technics, from what I understood GTX1060 does not use exactly the same technology than 1070/1080. 1060 is told to be closer from the previous high-end generation).

I have no grudge against Bless. I mainly just have more hype for A:IR. So going back to the subject, all people agree about the optimization. Is UE4 needed?... If they started on UE3, it is probably better the focus on UE3 and getting the best from this engine, rather than going to UE4 and taking the risk to fail.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  11. Strider

Strider Ascendant

I like cryy however it seems he is taking his disappointment with Bless out on A:IR.

I will say I'm surprised they chose unreal engine 3 to develop a:ir. It's not the greatest performing engine for mmos. I'm waiting to see how it runs myself before I comment but the announcement trailers performance didn't fill me full of confidence and was a tad amateur releasing a trailer with bad fps drops.

Shion likes this.
  12. Triplebutterfly

I think you missed in my post that I didn't agree with cryy on this specific video and mentioned it in his comment section. And when you say developers should listen to us, you're stating the obvious, it doesn't mean they are listening to us and if we look at Bluehole's PUBG and Tera, the last thing they do is listening to their players.
    I will keep support youtubers because our voice is nothing to the developers.

13. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

I'm not looking to get into an argument. You stated your opinion, I've stated mine. You do you and be happy. :D