[Poll] Combat System

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by Prochilles, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
?

Preferred Combat System for A:IR (Pretend the game had both options which would you play with?)

1. Tab-target

31.5%
  2. Action-Combat

68.5%
  1. Prochilles

Prochilles Ascendant

I know I know, the second I mention "Action" combat people are going to get upset, but hear me out.

This is just preference and is the only worrisome aspect of this game to my friends and I at the moment. I think, with some game time, I could get back into tab-targeting, but this doesn't matter if my friends decide not to play it and watching some seemingly very slow gameplay vids is making me question buying. Is there anything at all in the works for some form of action combat like gw2 or elder scrolls? It just makes the game fill more skill based / faster to us, as I'm sure a whole lot of other people, which means providing this as an option is going to increase the player base for the game, and I'm not sure if any harm can come from providing it.

(This is not meant to be a "I hate this, or that" post, just trying to share personal concerns over an aspect of a seemingly wonderful looking game.)

2. Sera

Sera Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    Szmer likes this.
  3. Prochilles

Prochilles Ascendant

4. Sera

Sera Guest

Hi

I have played over 60 hours of AIR game in CBT, as have several others here, so I am speaking from experience. And in those 60 hours of game play targeting was NOT tab targeting based. You can watch the twitch videos there.

The thread I linked is a thread discussing "which type of combat in air" I.e. your thread is asking the same question as the thread copied.

Also see:
    https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/tab-targeting-vs-action-combat.326/

Or if you wish go read the post by Jouska that is the translated guide from the Korean CBT guide for CBT players:

https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/preview-core-mechanics-controls.235/

Which states:

"Selecting a Target

[​IMG]

When you turn your camera toward enemies, the closest within 18 meters will be selected.

Looking at other enemies will change the selected target.

When viewing an empty area, selected targets are released after 2 seconds."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2018
    Squirrel and Szmer like this.
  5. Squirrel

Squirrel Ascendant

Hi.

I also played a ton of KR as well.

Sera is right

Like usual.

6. Triplebutterfly

Triplebutterfly Ascendant

It looks so slow paced and limiting, I would like to see Blade&Soul fast paced auto targeting system which allows you even with the limitations of targeting system to have a fast paced, action combat feeling with lots of CC, evades, iframes.. Outplay potential overall.

If they wouldn't go with what I just mentioned I would go with the pure Action Combat, at least we will have skill based combat like Tera (which is not my top choice but tab-targeting is a game killer for me)

7. Strider

Strider Ascendant

I'd like Gw2 combat but not bdo. Bdo just felt weird to me. I don't think that type of combat (bdo) translates well to anything other that pvp and that's why they made all the bdo pve stuff so easy.

Tab targeting with soft elements of action combat woven in like Gw2 does it is best imo

8. nasim

nasim Ascendant

When it comes to Bluehole nowadays I think there are way more important red flags and concerns.

But yeah, action combat all the way, recently I had even installed Lineage 2 to glance over skills (I still see some appeal on skills and stuff) which is a game where you have to actually click over EVERYTHING and uninstalled it sooo fast, I ALWAYS hated that type of targeting but now I can't bring myself to play a game like that anymore, that is suffering, it nearly gives me claustrophobia to have so many inputs bound solely to the left mouse button, I would definitely prefer something more in line with BDO but my biggest gripe really isn't even how accurate the game is, it is having my character and camera glued to one place and gameplay that is limited to one button, how could anyone favor that I simply cannot understand, maybe those people suffer from nostalgia.

9. Henry Adams

Henry Adams Ascendant

I'm for action combat.

10. Sirbalin

Sirbalin Ascendant

I would hope that since the one good thing about Tera (their first mmo) was the amazing combat, that they'd stick to it.

Vunak likes this.
  11. Vunak

Vunak Ascendant

Agreed. The only thing that made TERA decent was its combat system. They already "mastered" combat with TERA now they have a chance to take that very difficult aspect of a game to get right and implement it into another game. Focus on what made TERA bad, which was everything else and make it not bad in AI:R for an all around good game.

Sirbalin likes this.
  12. Sirbalin

Sirbalin Ascendant

And for god sake, please bring back pve and PvP servers. This cheap where companies try to force everyone together on one massive server with one ruleset is garbage. Seperate the two. I'm a PvP guy amd it sucks having a shared server

Vunak likes this.
  13. Vunak

Vunak Ascendant

I've always felt having multiple servers is a better way to go rather than one massive server, not even just to separate the PvP and PvE players, but to foster community. It is a lot easier for an MMO to create a working community with a smaller (but still large) player base per sever. Its easier to get lost in multiple channels and 50000 people, than it is to get lost in 5000-10000 with few/zero channels.

Sirbalin likes this.
  14. Sirbalin

Sirbalin Ascendant

Yea I agree, plus later on down the road server merges as population dies down can be fun.

Vunak likes this.
  15. MajkiMajk

MajkiMajk Ascendant

Fighting, this is the weakest element in the game, the combat is boring, weak and slow, generally uninteresting. Skills looks boring and casting takes forever. The game looks really, really gorgeous, exploration is nice, similar to ArcheAge but this combat system and skills destroy the game. Just add (optional) this combat system like in B&S, Tera, etc.. Everyone will be satisfied. Otherwise the game will end like Bless.