Now this is pod racing

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by hurfmurf, Oct 24, 2018.

1. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

No, I don't think so.

Things like these are what makes me think this game won't be a success. When you have only one specific thing that sets you apart from other (possibly well-established) MMOs and you just go ahead and turn this one thing into a mere gimmick that looks good on screenshots only, you just have robbed yourself of any chance to hold attention of the playerbase. Collapse within a short timeframe, just like all the previous pretty yet hollow asian MMOs.

I think its easy imaginable that with a bit more creativity considering the course trajectory, more refined flight mechanics(afterburner, drifting, flying at higher speeds in general), some envitonmental obstacles and specifics, maybe also alternative routes and a bigger scope of such a race in general there could actually be a major game content worthy of participating in repeatedly.
    But as it is this is just something you'll do once and be happy to never doing it again.

Now one could say this is just a short quest or serves as an introduction to this type of vehicle. Surely, this certainly is a possibility. Yet such underwhelming gimmcky mediocrity seems to permeate the entire game - in the flight mechanics, skill animations and combat system.

2. Partiesplayin

Partiesplayin Ascendant

This might look pretty lame to you, but I think it's promising here's why ...

It's clearly a mini game something players can do instead of grinding or pvping or killing mobs or dungeon hunting. It's something I hope there is a lot more of in this game. Mini games if there are enough of them can make the game fun. Could this mini game use some work ...? Sure but the fact that it exists in the first place is a promising sign that they are trying to make the game fun. Having mini games gives players something from the norm for to do when there tried of doing the normal day to day.

So although this looks lame we must look at the bigger picture here . I hope the developers make this game fun and I encourage them to come up with more mini games or events similar to this to entertain the player base.

3. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

But this is exactly my point:
    Yes this is in the game and at a very basic level a good thing that they tried to come up with something more than just some random grindy quest or some more boring mechanic. But it falls so immensely short of what it could and should be to be actually more than a random forgettable quest(one of the dudes in the video even jumped off the air vehicle before the finish line - to me it looked like he just got bored and hoped it would finally be over).

As I mentioned, this isn't the only instance where a mechanic/idea that could be really fun ends up being a letdown. Classes, skills and the animations, not to mention the flying itself - the only thing to set this game apart from other MMOs, the centrepiece of this entire game - end up so ridiculously underwhelming in execution.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. Partiesplayin

Partiesplayin Ascendant

Well let's hope they actually plan on making this game succeed, and not be a bless online upon release.

5. Comech

Comech Ascendant

How is this what is separating the game from the competition? This is one video with no details on what we are actually seeing. This game has shown 100+ player battles with ships in its trailers, and this little mini game is what you think of as the differentiation?

You seem like the typical "Doomsayer" that posts on every forum that an mmo will fail for x reason before knowing anything about it.

6. xMantissx

xMantissx Ascendant

Dats so slow :( I wanna NFS: A:IR

hurfmurf likes this.
  7. Lirulin

Lirulin Ascendant

I have to agree this looks really slow paced to me... but it would not discourage me from playing the game - if there are faster alternatives in higher levels? I noticed the guy playing is only level 20 which leads me to believe this is just an introductory storyline or tutorial.

I side with Partiesplayin in that.... some people like to just mess around in the city and this would keep them interested for a few minutes each day (potentially). Me? I am a one and done sort I guess. I might do this for a day but it would have to get faster, or harder, to keep my interest long past that.

Partiesplayin likes this.
  8. Szmer

Szmer Ascendant

Well, this video was posted almost year ago, lets hope they're working on this right now ;)

9. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

If you can actually understand Korean, this is a World Quest called "Inventus Racing" ("인벤투스 레이싱") according to the title of the video.
    On the left of the screen will explain to you the Objective of this Quest.
    인벤투스 레이싱
    사휘자 알톤의 지시에 따라 레이스를 준비하세요.
    - 비행가능한 탈 것에 탑승하기.
    - 줄발선에 정렬하기

빛의 고리를 통과하여, 골인 지점으로 이동하세요.

I can translate to you if you want:
    It says go on the ride, keep in the alignment of the line going through the rings of light up to the finish point.

Underneath that is a Timer that starts at 239 seconds beginning at the start of the race. "남은 시간" means "remaining time". "남은" comes from the stem "남" from the verb "남다", -ㄴ/은 is an Adjective conjugation, "남은" means remaining, "시간" means time. It means that this time is elapsing and will eventually run out to 0.

Underneath that Timer is "Player Points" of all the race participants.

Underneath it(that text in green with a green quest symbol) is another Quest that is just minimized and not part of this Quest, this is a Quest Window after all.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    hurfmurf likes this.
  10. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

This is not a big deal, it's a big deal to you because it is slow-paced (you are probably expecting something like Need for Speed or Blur). It's an activity that players can do, it's a World Quest. By doing World Quests(there are many of them), you get Seals(a monetary reward) that you can exchange in NPC for Hero-grade items and Relic-rating items (they are all Equipments). There are 6 tiers of Equipments, Legendary is the best, not Hero, anything above Hero-tier is obtainable through Crafting(using Mats from end-game) or through end-game content. A Relic-rating Equipment(it's an equipment with ornament slots and can be reinforced to a maximum of 6) can transform/modify 1 player skill/ability per ornament and can also be dropped from Dungeons and Open World field. Because these Equipments have no Level Requirement(max Level in A:IR is level 30), it's a great way to be geared at low levels. I read the press in Korean, there are some information there that are not yet available here.

Farming World Quest Seals is not end-game because it only involves Hero-tier Equipments. Because this is a World Quest, what you see is not Instanced, that activity takes place in the Open World, the activity however is exclusive to you and co-participants.

The design of this game in terms of gameplay is starting to look similar to Revelation Online's. What I see is basically that! They also have Open World Quests like the Windcatcher (). While it's fun, such game design also have flaws, I'm worried more about that than this single World Quest. Since you are gonna play this game, expect Revelation Online-like typical gameplay activities, and if you have played that game, you know how it goes and you know it's flaws.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  11. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I totally can see that this particular race is just some low level event, yet the way how it fails to meet at least *my* expectations is very consistent with all other instances of underwhelming flight mechanics and quests/gameplay involving airships.
    For this race I'd expect at least an attempt to combine something akin to a podrace from star wars with a regular rollercoaster ride, with some additional mechanics and visuals fitting this game's setting, of course.

I posted another video recently, very much in line with the failure of meeting my expectations in regard to creativity, fun and solid gameplay:

This is exactly same issue as with the video in the first post - this gameplay is utterly underwhelming. With a little bit of imagination you can easily think of a couple of mechanics, trajectory changes and some visual imporvements to let the players have something more to do than sit there and randomly press 3 buttons for 3 minutes.

Look also at this:

The guy in the video made the following meme real:

[​IMG]
    He simply got bored and decided it would be more fun to actually hit an airborne(!) raidboss with his character rather than to shoot it with airship guns as intended.

All of these examples point to an issue that isn't even in the mechanics which may or may be not changed - the devs struggle with making flying and air combat fun on a basic creative level. Not even on the mechanical one - on the creative.