Is a separate animal race really needed?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by hurfmurf, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Arika

Arika Ascendant

I'm happy with every races and I'm happy to have no anime style!!
    love tooo much Bluehole works.

2. Vujkan

Vujkan Ascendant

y we need animal race,big like for this!!

3. Astaroth

Astaroth Ascendant

I really don’t see people’s problem. The more diversity there is the better in my opinion. It’s not like anybody is goin to force you to play a race you don’t want to, it’s not goin to hurt you, so why try to ruin it for other people?

4. Santreim

Santreim Ascendant

I don't complain about there being more races, I complain about how crappy done they are. They are just different presets of the base race, except for the animals, who are small humans with animal hats. And if they are adding new races, they are probably adding different animations to each of them, so instead of focusing on the animations of each class, they have to do 4 times that work, so they'll have 1/4th the quality.

What I even don't complain about is the fact that steampunk as a genre doesn't fit with fantasy races like elves or orcs.

Eärwen likes this.
  5. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

The humans and elves I’ve seen before in other A:IR Infinite Realm videos so I didn’t have a big reaction to seeing them in the videos posted. They are pretty much staple races in the mmorpg fantasy genre. But, when it comes to the other two races I would say I approve of the direction. The Orcs in the teaser are intriguing to me; I want to see more. And I enjoy the look of the small animal race, though if they are single gender that would disappoint me. I don’t know if they are not simply “single gendered” or just don’t have human female characteristics on their body model (breasts basically). I’ll wait and see. There are definitely ways to feminize a races look without giving them huge anime boobies. This race reminds me a lot of the Monster Hunter Palico at first glance . . . And you know what? I am fine with that.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

What is your baseline for 100% quality? I’m actually curious. We know that there is a lot of overhaul that the game is going through (despite the lack of information being published), so what is the standard bar you are comparing this quality to?

I am also interested in hearing more about how Orc’s and animal races don’t fit into steampunk. Where is this written? Who wrote that into steampunk law?

7. Santreim

Santreim Ascendant

It's not about 100% quality, that doesn't exist. It's about differentiation. Different races should feel different for the player, Orcs should be big and tough, elves slim and graceful, animal races cute and fluffy. In their current state, all have the same animations, and look just like a reskin, except for the animals, who look like eldritch abominations.

My opinion is just "if you are going to do it, do it properrly"

Maybe this is more personal, since Steampunk is closer to an aesthetic than a genre. But, at least for me, steampunk is about decadent Victorian era, mad scientists and weird contraptions. You could argue that, once you add magic to the mix, fantasy races aren't so out of nowhere, but for me it kinda clashes with the premises.

Alyria likes this.
  8. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

This helped me see your point! On the first topic I agree and hope that the races feel different. I’ll admit I haven’t seen enough to really say one way or another.

On the steampunk & fantasy races, it does seem like a fine line. There are going to be people who will argue both sides. In a way I can see the current races working in various ways. All depends how the lore works. Especially since my original impression was the game would only feature humans as a race.

I guess we will see!

Santreim likes this.
  9. Sparki

Sparki Ascendant

personally i need some variety on race. and i love animal race, why? because they a mostly better designed as the human :D

10. Astaroth

Astaroth Ascendant

Not in this game... At least at the moment. Currently the little animal race is leterally just a miniature human body with furry hands and an animal head thrown on. I’m really hoping they put more work into them, because I think they look like a rushed eyesore as of now.

Sparki likes this.
  11. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

After having had a look at the Thai gameplay videos I don't see a point in the new races.

Elves are just humans with pointy ears(and that's actually in general fine by me) where it is absolutely sufficient to just select the pointy ears option in the character creator instead of a completely new race.
    Orcs are simply ugly humans with regular human physique. There isn't a large market for ugly characters IMO, even in WoW 90% of the Horde are said(by Horde players themselves) to be Blood Elves instead of the other ugly options. Their orcs were even made a bit more human and orc females a bit prettier some time ago.
    The animal race are, as mentioned often enough, just tiny humans with random animal heads. These are just Popori all over again - an idea of funny characters that hardly anyone ever picks to play "seriously", although many find them cute at some point in time.

Thus 2 completely pointless races and one that could have some potential but disappoints in execution and lacks some sort of a creative spark to draw interest.

I'll just have to reiterate that IMO it would have been a much better idea to provide players with a much higher degree of creative freedom as described in my posts on the first page. I even think that allowing players to choose an animation set that they deem best fitting their character would be an interesting and fairly innovative mechanic. I.e. you do all your character modifications first and at the end decide what kind of animations fits better - agile fighter type, sturdy big and heavy warrior or some flowery fruitcake dancing queen if your are into that.

And now some more pictures.

Hot and badass demi-human girls first:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some little furry dudes that really impressed me because of how expressive and enigmatic at the same time their faces are - in a vast contrast to the dead faces of the animal race in AIR. Such badass little guys. This is how I'd rather see a "real" animal race done - high quality over quantity:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/quote]

12. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

Correct me if I am wrong, I am trying to recall quickly at work - in the morning - pre coffee, but my recollection of the character creator during the very first beta is that it was very extensive when it came to height, build, and look etc (within reason). I recall mentioning to a friend who was also looking into the game at the time that with just one creator you could make a human, elf, halfling, or dwarf just with the sliders. It felt like a fresh take on race selection at the time and appeared to allow the player to create a wide variety of unique looks. I could try to find the video that gave me that impression, but it would have to wait until after I leave the office for the day.

Also, the furry kitty knights you posted made my gamer girl heart squeal with cuteness. Lol. So thumbs up for that!

13. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Yes, the character creator in the old korean CBTs seemed fairly detailed, precisely which is why I made this topic. The kind of fantastical facial and body features I posted pictures of ON TOP of such a character creator with no strict racial separation could be quite spectacular IMO. But for some reason we have to pick different races now, although 3 of them are basically the same.

p.s.: this is how character creation looks now:

https://www.facebook.com/P4Gteam/videos/vb.1387092611508652/2253614144906265/

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Kjjing and Muriele like this.
  14. Muriele

Muriele Ascendant

Thanks for the video very interesting!

15. Alyria

Alyria Ascendant

Thank you for the video Hurfmurf! My initial thoughts after seeing them are that the designs are a good “jumping off” point and I can see where you are coming from when you say they need polish. I hope that the developers continue to move forward with fine tuning the races to give each one a unique feel and story.

I would also like to see a human dragon/demon type hybrid race (akin to some of the pictures you’ve posted) because I just love the aesthetics of them.

*finger guns* I’m looking at you CM Richter. Can you say pretty please to the devs for me? Lol. :rolleyes: