[Guild System Question] How large can guilds be?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by Foghladha, Jan 10, 2018.

?

How Large Should Guilds Be?

1. 1-50

8.2%
  2. 50-100

30.6%
  3. 100-250

40.8%
  4. 250-500

6.1%
  5. 500-1000

2.0%
  6. 1000+

12.2%
  1. Foghladha

Foghladha Ascendant

Founder of Gaiscioch
    Greetings,

This is one of the hottest most discussed topics around these days and developers are flopping wide right or wide left but often missing the middle ground. I am wondering where A:IR plans to fall on guild size restrictions. Some games have as few as 30 others in the tens of thousands.

There are valid arguments both ways but for some pre-existing communities small guild limits prevent them from entering a game all together. I am curious as to where A:IR will fall with their plans for epic sieges.

[Players] Being civil to one another and realizing that each side has its own history, beliefs and perspectives, where do you hope the guild limit falls?

Personally i'm hoping around the 500 account limit similar to Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online. But thats just because i'm running a community that has snowballed over 16 years and I have problems telling people they can't play with me. We tried Black Desert and that turned out to be a cluster.... with 100 limit. Won't do that again. I've learned my lesson.

Joker likes this.
  2. Joker

Joker Ascendant

well , the best thing to do is to begin with a 100 member limit then expand the clan level further to open 100 slot per level or even 50
    lvl 1 = 100 Slot
    lvl 2 = 150 Slot would be nice
    you can get clan exp by doing quests in party or donating materials to the guild etc
    this system is a nice and makes the guild more coopish towards the guilds advancement not just to stay in it and being inactive will mostly make the guild go down after a few days from the launch

BlackSabbath, ShmemSolid and Azhuri like this.
  3. Foghladha

Foghladha Ascendant

Founder of Gaiscioch
    bumping for more perspectives from players.

4. Gurem

Gurem Ascendant

Now personally i would want it to be over 1000 and here's the reason why. If they implement things such as territory sieges, guild wars, and world bosses, then it would be quite spctacular for you and your 1000+ guild mates work together for victory afterall a war is comprised of thousands and it feels and looks even more awesome if it is. This feature would also boost the games popularity as an esport as well. Watching 1000+ players vs 1000+ will surely be enticing to watch. In a match of 100 vs 100 it boils down to who has more gear but in a larger scale battle its whose tactics is better. plus if its a world boss it would be better is there are fewer big figure heads as everyone will want to do their own thing and not cooperate which could lead to the wipe out of the entire server. if u need any more reason as to why its better for 1000+ guild members check out mmorpg rebirth of thee legenday gaurdian

5. Zet

Zet Ascendant

retired
    I have an interesting thought that popped in. Last 2 MMOs I've played had all sorts of Guilds; big, small and in between. Why not recognize that in-game and have services and requirements for each. In GW2 the game I'm in atm has features in the hall that are available only if you can get 20 or so players together. On the other hand Gurem above me would like 1,000 members, rather than restricting, limiting or regulating design features for several situations. Is it more work for the devs? Yep, but hopefully this isn't going to be a cookie cutter MMO that is around 18 months and dwindles. I have high hopes for this game.

6. Tabias

Tabias Ascendant

I personaly love smal Guild's like 20 Members because I want a relationship to everyone (know their real Names, what they do for a living etc.) like a little Family.
    But I think in A:IR the Guild's will go upwards of 500 Members.
    Alone the fact that Airship Battles and World Bosses would look funny with only 20 Members.
    Like Joker said before a System where each Guild Level unlocks more Space for Members in the Guild would be nice!

ShmemSolid and 347 like this.
  7. Rimo

Rimo Ascendant

100 seems like a decent size, but I know there are multi-gaming organizations out there that can field a lot more than that. Maybe include the option to upgrade guild capacity, etc. Or even an in game alliance system with alliance chat, etc. Allows bigger guilds to still remain connected and not be forced to split off.

This way some of the content can be balanced and locked off to guild vs guild things that aren't who can field more players and zerg better.

8. CM Praballo

CM Praballo Well-Known Member A:IR Crew

The guild feature was not part of the Beta test in Korea is still not finalized.
    So thank you for sharing your thoughts and keep doing so. Your feedback will have an impact on the final game!

9. Squirrel

Squirrel Ascendant

I mean I think we need a clearer idea of what the actual goals and end games of the game will be in order to determine guild sizes.

100 is fairly standard right now if there is some kind of group objective to capture together and such.
    If there isn't any end game like that then 100 is probably still a comfortable level for most people and most pre-made groups already aim for numbers around that,

As someone that played the game to current max level and ran around for a while I honestly am not sure what the end objectives are besides get more gear and upgrade the stones in your gear for more stats.... If there was more information on what they're at least trying to aim for as end game content we would be able to help you guys with stuff like this a lot easier!

Lhyuu, SirWallace and Sera like this.
  10. CM Praballo

CM Praballo Well-Known Member A:IR Crew

The majority of you seem to prefer a 50-250 guild member window and that's what we forwarded to Bluehole (with the note that sample size was a bit to small to be really representative)

Regarding very large guilds; there might be limitations to what the database can handle. I'm not an expert but I know of cases where other games had to reduce guild size and this could easily also be a limiting factor for AI:R.

Please keep your feedback coming!

11. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    I think 50-150 is farily reasonable, perhaps if there's a guild leveling system we can add to the size of that and make it expand up to 200~ with some hard and dedicated team work within the guild itself.

12. Tez

Tez Ascendant

Software Engineer
    200 to 300 if your going to have territory siege based weekly event
    150 if your not

prob best numbers as a gm of a large guild in BDO we had almost 200 in 2 guilds and it was annoying and in revelation we could put all 200 into one guild and it was much nicer but the guild took leveling up to that point so thats not a good thing ... rather just have 200 right from the start fill them and work with them.

Sera likes this.
  13. Xash

Xash Ascendant

If it´s anywhere above 100, i´m pretty sure i´ll skip the game.
    Why? Well, because any game in history showed us zerg > everything. And as soon as a game is about masses and not about skill, i dislike it, personally. I want to be able to show off skills and not just have zerg vs zerg gameplay. I´d rather play 30 minutes in a great 10 vs 10 combat than just being a random person in the zerg doing AoEs.

Sera likes this.
  14. Sera

Sera Guest

Yeah... the size is rather a tough one for me. As @Xash points out too large a guild things can just turn into Zergs. But of thier is segue content then having large numbers does lead to that sense if epic battles, especially if you have to split your resources between multiple sites, and then you also get people who can't make that siege.

So I think I would go with @Tez and say 200 as the guild size.

15. Tez

Tez Ascendant

Software Engineer
    Keep in mind even if they went with 100 Xash it can easily be bypassed with 2 guilds of 100 each for the same 200 man guild so skipping a game cause of semantics of a number based in one guild vs 2 really isnt a good way to look at it.

like i said in BDO it was 100 man guilds and all we did was have 2 guilds with 100 players in each guild and we helped each other out. If you want a small guild thats fine just dont expect to compete in the larger events. There is always smaller events made in most mmos for the smaller guilds that the large guilds dont go to since we cant get as many rewards so most large guilds sit out so as not to cause conflict in the guild with handing out rewards

PS. our 100 man guild in revelation destroyed a zerg of 200+ players in the 2nd siege i have video of it even so it can be done. Three guilds came to take our main castle base and we held and pushed out all 3 guilds coming from 3 diff sides with LESS than 100 players. So cant just base it on that alone.