Full loot

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by PapaShert, Dec 20, 2017.

1. PapaShert

PapaShert Ascendant

The game seems to have a large focus on PvP. One question that I have is if there is going to be a loot system tied to PvP? I personally enjoy full loot PvP games.

2. Keatz

Keatz Ascendant

It seems that some of the temporary servers will have the ability to be full loot for pvp, though I don't think it'll exist in the main game.

3. Primal

Primal Ascendant

EBONGUARD.COM
    Like Keatz pointed out, we do not have much information on PvP but we do know what they will be using on the special servers they're testing next CBT. It lists PvP loot but that could mean any number of things. I've enjoyed full and partial loot in past games, so I know where you're coming from. I'd just set my expectations on it being a random piece out of your inventory for now.

PapaShert likes this.
  4. Xash

Xash Ascendant

Probably not going to happen. Overall, players are afraid of full loot PvP and, while i personally enjoy it, the problem with it are huge guilds zerging everything and everyone, making it not fun for all others.
    IF you´d limit guilds to ~50 players and DO NOT allow alliances, fine, you have a fair chance. But with guild and alliances being open end, it´s simply "zerg or die".

5. Sera

Sera Guest

Hi

The loot drops we saw on the special server, appeared to be limited to certain items gained on the island, specifically buff giving drops (these were very powerful buffs).

Sera

6. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

I think the ability to see full loot or not will be largely dependent upon how easy the gear is to replace. The easier the gear is to obtain; the more free they can be with allowing players to loot others.

7. MISFIT

MISFIT Ascendant

Yeah, F that full loot shyte. That just means someone with more time or money than me is going to roll me for my hard earned vendor trash!

8. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    I am not that big a fan of a full loot system but I did like what Lineage did in the sense that when you had karma and PKd another person without them fighting back, you would eventually run the risk of dropping random gear and items from your inventory when killed.

9. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

If the intent is to have a PVP and PVE server, what's wrong with full loot? There will always be someone with more time and more money then you. Isn't there a saying about there always being a bigger fish or something?

BDO had a karma system, and it kind of ruined open world PVP.

My dream PVP rules:
    -Open world PVP.
    -Restrict who you can attack first based on level ranges, so you don't get max level ganking lowbies unless provoked.
    -Provide each player with a save bag with say 3 slots (just a random number) and allow full inventory only loot with the exception of what's in that bag.
    -Corpse decay in an hour with non-looted contents mailed back to owner.

10. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    It's about how you utilize it. BDO did it differently from Lineage and imo they did it wrong, the whole system was different and the two games aren't really comparable.

11. Laguna

Laguna Ascendant

Full Loot system is too punitive for a Triple A MMORPG. When you're aiming for a general public it is very risky to make players lose what they had and then not stay in a constant rewarding progression. So I basically doubt such a system would fit well with the game.

12. Xash

Xash Ascendant

As long as there aren´t factions, full loot is stupid imho.
    A game like Aion or WoW (if you could re-aquire your equipment faster ofc) would be great with full loot. No factions (like BD eg) makes the whole experience very lackluster. You have to constantly be wary of everyone, all the time, ever. Simply not fun if you only have limited time to play.
    Knowing you are in enemy territory and chances are good someone is going to gank you? Perfectly fine.

But that´s just my opinion ;)

13. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

I'm unfamiliar with how Lineage did it. Can you elaborate please?

Well I suppose it's a good thing there will be two factions, huh?

14. Ashrahm

Ashrahm Ascendant

Full loot is more of a niche game these days and most producers will stay away from it due to general public not liking it.

15. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    Well, in Lineage you could PvP and PK anyone since the very first moment you logged in, since level 1. You attack someone your name turns purple and you are flagged. If they decide to fight back and hit you their name turns purple too.

If you kill them without them fighting back your name turns red and you gain karma. Depending on what level they were etc you gain more than normally which is why it wasn't a good idea to kill low level people. Karma could be lost by dying or by killing monsters within your own level range. That means if you killed a low level while you were much higher level, you run into the problem of being unable to kill monsters to work off your karma fast enough.

Having a red name was commonly referred to as being in a chaotic state. You were unable to enter towns because guards would attack you and you could not use a teleport NPC either. You would also run the risk of dropping random equipment and items from your inventory when having karma. The more you had, the more likely you would be dropping things.

I really love that system but I think part of why it worked so well is because there were no factions and that doesn't apply to AIR.

16. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

Ummm...how is that any different then the BDO system? You acquired karma from killing folks whom were noncombatants or you were not at war with, and you removed karma by killing off mobs or questing. The only real differences are the dropping gear penalty; that wasn't a thing in BDO. Other than that, it's the same system.

17. xDrac

xDrac Ascendant

Web Designer
    No it's not afaik.
    I didn't mingle with BDO PvP too much, but there was no state in-between red and normal as was with L2 (purple) I believe. I think that's an important step. Also the games use two entirely different systems. I think it worked a lot better with a tab target system, in BDO you had stuff like Ghilie suits and stuff that hid your name completely, and at least when I played I felt the desync during PvP which made it really unenjoyable to me personally.

And the speed at which Karma was worked off was different as well. It took a lot longer in BDO as far as I could tell.
    Also Lineage had CP which was a seperate "HP" bar ontop of your actual HP that wore off only when being damaged by other players, giving you ample time to react. BDO didn't have anything like that if I am not mistaken. Also BDO has an auto-pot system, in Lineage restoring your HP was much harder.

The system was similar yes, but the games were very much different still and I think that too plays a big role in whether a system like this works or fails.

18. Scribbles

Scribbles Ascendant

Yes, this is true. They were, in fact, two different games.

19. Alteravitea

Alteravitea Ascendant

I really hate forced pve though, if you have a drop system I shouldn't have to pve to pvp I despise that. People hate forced pvp welp I hate forced pve even though I understand we need it to get gear ect but when I want to pvp I don't want to be restricted on how to get back into it especially if its contesting content world bosses ect. I think there's a balance but going out to kill 1000x monsters to get ur karma back in good health is toxic af especially if you play support classes that cant grind as effectively as your heavy dps classes

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  20. Wynnter

Wynnter Ascendant

<cough> Darkfall...