Disappointed about certain Sorc visuals

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by hurfmurf, Feb 16, 2018.

1. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

In short: In A:IR sorcerers use staves as weapons, which to me looks like a bad choice because
    1. in most MMOs I played staves are usually boring design-wise(the most boring weapon of them all) and tbh I don't even know how to remedy this
    2. sorc's animations hardly ever seem to actually utilize the staves in the spell animation at all

We already had games and MMOs with much more interestingly looking weapons by now, so the choice to go for the staves as a sorc's weapon is really quite a bummer. Aion had great looking books and orbs(which sadly did not take part in animations at all), Tera had magical discs that often were incorporated into the animation flow and looked pretty cool. Best design for magical weapons IMO goes to Diablo 3 with its offhand items for the Sorceress/Wizard class - those items are really great looking.

Therefore I would prefer if A:IR devs had reconsidered their choice in this regard and maybe went for weapons looking like those offhand items from Diablo 3 and also went Tera route in terms of intergration into spell animations.

Another point are sorc's clothes we saw so far. It is certainly a valid argument to say low level clothing is not meant to look stellar, but just in terms of design direction it looks a bit lame. Elven female cloth line in Tera manage to look classy, pretty and quite magical(which seems important for a magical class, eh?). Aion's concept design also pictured some really great clothes that would fit a mage class.

Some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One can surely argue that A:IR goes for some sort of a steampunk look, but IMO magical classes should look magical rather than like someone straight from a farm - and that right from level 1 onwards.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Some more pictures of "magical" dresses/armours(just in my line of preferences):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I posted the one above in a previous less related thread)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aion's concept designs seem often very beautiful, but sadly somehow become much less impressive ingame - because of the older game's engine, i guess :confused: (I stopped playing after 2.0, so maybe things changed in the meantime).
    I'd expect that the same engine that allowed creation of Elven cloth line(and Conjuct for other races) in Tera could support a much better transition from concept into actual 3D model.

3. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

More about staves and animations.

Staves and my issue with them.

1. General design.

Often way too long, which makes them look strange dangling from character's back. Progressing further into the game, staff's top end either gets loaded with all sorts of increasingly large, wild and stupid looking shapes and forms and also sometimes some additional lightning effects randomly get added anywhere to staff's surface, which turns your character into a wierd disfigured Christmas tree and produces lots of clipping issues when you are simply standing somewhere in town. To avoid clipping, designers sometimes make the tip area flatter, so that it ends up looking really weird - big and flat at the top.
    Often, though, staff's design also is very boring and unimaginative - ie the tip is some lame unanimated flower and that's it.

In the end, together with size, effects and constant enlargement of staff's top part the character itself seems to disappear behind the staff when moving around, which I find annoying and disappointing as IMO staff's appearance should merely augment character's visual rather than superpose it.

2. Spell animations.

As mentioned before, many games that utilize staves as magical weapons hardly ever fully incorporate them into attack animations in constast to "regular" melee and ranged weapons.
    So you end up looking at other classes swinging their cool sword, daggers, axes etc, looking all cool, but your staff(or whatever magical weapon your character uses) simply can't compare. Some games like Aion manage to make the spells at least look really cool. Some like Tera use a weapon that is easier to involve in anmations, but still is just a rather forgettable and unremarkable element of the animation.
    From what I've seen in the few A:IR videos available, neither do the spell animations look any good, nor the spell effects are impressive - and of course staves hardly are involved in the spell animations at all, it seems. If someone can provide a video proof that I am absolutely wrong, please do so.

Suggestions

1. Design

I'd like to suggest adding transformation effects to staves' top ends(the ones which are supposed to emanate magical energy during casting).

My original inspiration comes from Diablo 3's Nephalem obelisk, which tranfsforms from an obelisk into a portal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advantages of such an approach:

- Staves can be made a bit smaller, not obstructing the character model too much
    - The staves in their basic state can be of a much more elegant design to avoid clipping issues with characters' heads
    - Staves' tips in their "active" form can feature a HUGE variety of wildly different shapes, forms and visual effects, allowing unprecedented creative freedom compared to other games: staves' tips could turn into balls of magical energy, wild crystal formations, magical fires, literal Eye of Sauron etc
    - Achieving a higher motivation to "take your character for a spin", to play actively because during combat your character will look so much more impressive thanks to transformation effect, rather than to stand somewhere in town trying to show off
    - Staves of a more "technical" design(ie more stampunk-like) would profit from transformation effects immensely IMO, simply from a visual standpoint.

Some examples with explanations:

[​IMG]

Besides pretty looking "magical" costume with a great looking cape(mages need some nice looking capes IMO) this picture features a staff that is perfectly fit for a transformation effect:
    When in combat, the "wing" parts could shift downwards and the crystal in the middle could increase in size and start glowing with instense magical energies, maybe with some cool looking swirl effects around it.

And, of course, what would we do without some professional MS Paint concept art :cool:

[​IMG]

small update: some more MS paint to visualize the suggestion that refers to the pretty artwork above - this is very roughly how the staff could look like after "activation":

[​IMG]

yes, yes, this requires a lot of imagination ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

2. Animations

To start off, I assume that after the feedback concerning the general combat system, sorcerers will be able to cast at the very least some of their spell repertoire as free-aim/manually aimed spells very similar to how gunners aimed some of their skills in CBTs - you point in a general direction and this is where the spell goes, no autoaim or casting behind ones back whatsoever. What is inside the hitzone, gets hit, for everything else spell misses. Similar to Tera, also.

Dividing spells in staff- and handcasted categories:

I would like to see a certain duality in spellcasting between spells originating from the caster's hand(s?) and those coming straight from the magical staff:
    - Staff is for high-energy damaging spells, that are primarily casted as free-aim spells(hit zone + no auto-tageting)
    - Hands are used for control-type abilities, debuffs and the basic spells - those that may be the ones requiring a valid target

This division should help with animation issues, so that the characters would be able to move and cast in a visually satisfying manner.

Visual effects for staff-casted spells:

The staff should be not only just involved in the animations, but spell effects should in at least some cases originate from the tip of the staff. Visually I imagine this similar to the effect in the following video, when the red robot in the upper part of the screen shoots its big energy projectiles:

Just as its arm swells up with energy which is then released as some kind of a plasma projectile, so could the staves' tips swell with magical energies - in form of some cool magical swirls, for example - and then get released as a magical projectile.

Some of the specially powerful and damaging spells maybe could be even casted while holding the staff with two hands and shot off similar to how the Jaffa's staves/energy lances are used in Star Gate, just with some more "magical bling" of course:

Why bother with integrating staves into spell animations at all?

IMO, simply for immersion and visual reasons.
    - Immersion: in fantasy stettings staves are magical tools and weapons at the same time, meant to amplify wizard's/sorcerers potential. I'd expect they get portraited as such through animations.
    - Visuals: when you either don't use staves at all or just in very few animations, what you get is a character that looks weird casting all of its spells with just one hand or carrying a huge useless stick on its back.
    In terms of originality compared to other games, involving spellcaster's weapon is a bonus to visual style's uniqueness.

Examples and interaction between hand- and staff-casting:

- Flash Freeze:

Caster points his staff at the ground, causing it to freeze over. Enemies in the area get slowed down.

Branch 1: Caster raises his staff, causing the frozen ground grow frosty spikes, damaging enemies in the area. At the end of the spell, a huge ice spike breaks through the ground, causing massive damage.
    Branch 2: Caster executes an upward motion with his hand, causing the ice to grow and to entrap targets in the area for a duration of the time.
    Branch 3: Caster executes a pushing motion with his hand, causing targets in the area to be pushed back out of the frozen area and to tumble over as they leave it(=knockdown just outside of the aoe effect).

- Energy trap:

Caster points his hand at a target. Glowing threads shoot from his hand towards the victim, enclosing it and lifting it into the air for a duration of a time.

Branch 1: Caster channels further magical energies from his hand into the trap, damaging the target multiple times.
    Branch 2: Caster executes a downward motion with his hand, slamming the target into the ground for some damage. Target is stunned and slowed for a duration of a time.
    Branch 3: In a quick motion caster points his staff at the target in the air and releases a stong magical blast, igniting and throwing the target away for a certain distance.

- Ball-lightning:

Caster points his staff forwards and releases a ball of magical energy that travels slowly in the given direction

Branch 1: Caster moves his staff in an upward motion, releasing a flash of magical light. The ball of magical energy explodes. Caster doesn't need to look in the direction of the ball to trigger the explosion.
    Branch 2: From his hand, caster shoots an arc of magical energy towards the ball. The ball shatters into discs if magical energy that fly much faster and a bit further than the ball could and put a dot and a slow on everyone in their path. The discs also now fly along the direction of the magical impulse that shattered the ball - possibly not following the trajectory of the original spell.

- Magical shield

Caster points his staff forwards and creates a shield of magical energy that absorbs a certain amount of damage coming from the front. This spell has to be constinuosly channeled.

Branch 1: Caster releases magical impulse from his staff which collapses the shield and pushes back targets in front of the caster.
    Branch 2: Caster points his hand towards the shield and releases a pulse of magical energy, shattering the shield and launching its pieces as magical projectiles forwards, inflicting damage related to the amount of damage absorbed by the shield.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  5. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Well, thanks to Tripplebutterfly, I finally was able to watch a sufficient amount of sorceress gameplay to get a better perspective on the sorcerer class in this game. This is one of the videos, there are many more in the corresponding channel:

I am terribly disappointed. It is IMO a total and utter letdown to offer that kind of visuals and gameplay.

Not a single satisfying skill, the staff is a useless accessoir - with the exception of two skills out of 13! available abilities.
    The way the animation for charging up that one fire spell looks ridiculous in body posture and boring in execution.
    The electric lightning emitted by the staff is okay, could be more intense - less like bunch of sparkling and more like actual strikes of lightning in the sky. But what is with the posture when the lightning skill is used? The character looks like something has bitten her in the butt, terrible.

The ultimate-looking ability that turns the whole character into lava/fire/orange is quite low on quality and imagination, too. Rather than slap lava texture on the whole figure, why not ingite its arm and hair with bright orange flames(with a transition from red flame to blue for the upper part of the arm to signify the magical nature of the ability, a bit similar to berserker's effect in Tera, when Fiery Rage is used) and create a circle of flames around the character? This way all the cool looking costume details will be kept and augmented through great looking skill visuals rather than replaced.

edit: Since all of the helmets and hair accessoires were terrible, too, you could also add a sort of a fiery crown to the effects of the ultimate spells that replaces these stupid looking accessoires for the duation of the spell, so that the character with its flaming hand and hair with a bluish glowing magical crown at the top(possibly floating) ends up as a sort of an embodiment of an ancient mage king/queen(fits the story, too!) channeling powerful energies for a short moment.

Oh and the staves - 1,5x times bigger than the character itself and largerly without any cool looking effects in combat AND also ignored during most of the abilities. Great.

Other than that, the general flow of the abilities is looking weird, wooden, doesn't flow naturally in the way a person would move. Look at this video depicting a game created more than 10 years ago:

The animations in this one are looking much more natural and they also do make a lot more sense visually. Especially when you look at the skill that is very similar to the charging up fire spell from A:IR.

And now let's look at more modern game - Lost Ark:

The spells look fun, they look like they would actually motivate you to go and play this game.

In A:IR we get: boring staves, boring clothes, boring skills and boring gameplay.

P.S.: seriously, this game is supposedly made by the guy who created Aion and some people from Tera might be involved, too - what the heck happened to your imagination?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Triplebutterfly likes this.
  6. Triplebutterfly

Triplebutterfly Ascendant

I agree, at least for now.. the skills we have seen so far looks like maplestory first job skills. Lets wait for the next beta which will offer higher levels/more skills or at least more content to establish our opinions on.

A:IR is not a finished game that shows us all the options available or the best skills to draw us in to play the game like Lost Ark or other flashy mmos that show us trailers with the max level skills we so desperately want to try for ourselves. All we have seen so far is the basic skills and not to mention the sub classes that supposed to be for each class, I'm not sure if the sub classes will be the point you have to choose the main element between the 2 (for sorcerer) or completely new skills/elements to choose from.
    Lets hope for the best like I am doing for years but somehow they always find a way to mess it up in some original, extraordinary ways that I couldn't think about that makes me regret every time that I spent time in the forums before the launch ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  7. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I disagree with the "wait and see" approach - it's basically "hey, it's just closed/open beta, they surely will magically fix everything before launch!" kind of rhetoric. IMO for a potentially interested player it is better to voice concerns and offer some suggestions early in the development as a borked launch will crush any game and development cycles are not exactly short either - it takes months to years to finally get something that you like into a game. By then you could lose interest entirely for a multitude of reasons.

With that said, I'd like to voice some more concerns and offer more suggestions ;)

First, some more pictures of cloths that look more "magical".

First two are from Tera:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look really nice and tbh I think they might be a result of my critisism of plain looking Tera's cloth line in the launch version, because some other designs feature elements that I was suggesting to use to make the cloths and armour more interesting and complex compared to the initial designs.

Some more pretty stuff from the internet:

[​IMG]

This one is great. Very stylish, very elegant, featuring very magical and very elegant looking staff, too. Not a very big fan of the size of the thing on the shoulder, though.

[​IMG]

Aion's concept art is often amazing, just like this picture. Very simple, but so incredibly elegant, IMO very much fitting a steampunk theme of a magical scholar.
    Ironically, this is actually chain armour rather than cloth ingame, but chain designs were usually the best looking anyway IMO. Simply awesome.

An example of some possible staff effects when in combat stance. Can't find fitting pictures for cool transformations.

[​IMG]

And this is what I've been talking about, when mentioning how staves' top parts are getting increasingly bigger and how random the added glow looks. This is not a magical staff, this is a full-blown army standard :rolleyes: It looks terrible ingame IMO. This screenshot is from Tera, but A:IR already has something similar - a table globe on a long stick basically, which looks proportions-wise fairly sillly, too.

[​IMG]

The following 3 pictures are aimed to demonstrate how I think the art of the ultimate spell from the first video in post #5 could look like for a much better visual effect. Use your imagination to add a crown of blue flames(or any colour that might fit for some contrast) to the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  8. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Some more spell suggestions.

Crescent Storm

The caster spins his staff, launching crescents of magical energy to where the camera looks. Each time a magical crescent hits a valid target in its path, the target receives a stackable dot effect, that increases the damage it receives from the spells of the caster for a duration of a time. While spinning the staff, caster moves at a slower pace.

Branch 1: Caster raises his hand which begins to glow with magical fire - the more stacks of debuffs he landed, the more intense the fire. He suddenly forms his fingers into a first and the fire around his arm streams into the fist and then extinguishes, after which the debuffed targets explode. A target that was hit by the maximum amount of crescents receives bonus damage.
    Branch 2: Caster spins around and swings his staff in a horizontal motion, releasing a large horizontal crescent in camera direction. Targets that were debuffed before and are hit by this crescent recieve a heavy dot and a healing debuff effect, intensity of one or both of the effects depending on the number of initial crescent debuffs.

For spinning aesthetics watch this video:

Swirl Attack

The Caster brings his staff forward in a horizontal position, ignites it with magical energy, relinquishes his hold on it and lets it spin in a vertical circular motion. Rotating staff pulls the caster forward, driving back and damaging enemies in casters path, while blocking all damage from the front.

Alternative visuals: the caster points forward with his staff, creating a magical maelstrom that pulls the caster forward, driving back and damaging enemies in casters path, while blocking all damage from the front.

This skill is similar in its function to Brawler's Bull Rush from Tera.

Force escape

Caster points his free hand downwards with an open palm and releases a burst of energy that launches him backwards and into the air, slowing down enemies in vincinity.

Branch 1: While in the air, caster quickly points his staff to the ground in front of him and releases a bolt of magical energy that results in a damaging explosion.
    Branch 2: After landing, caster spins around, moves his arm in a horizontal motion and releases a wide magical impulse to the front that pushes the caster himself even further back and knockdowns enemies that it hits.

Also, some really cool loking ultimate damage spell would be really great to have. Gunner's ultimate in Tera with all effects looks pretty spectacular, so I think something along those lines would be really fun. Or something like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  9. IronArm

IronArm Ascendant

I think there needs to be a balance between the two. Voice concerns, but don't rant and say the game is horrible. The game isn't near completion and things are actively changing. We should voice our concerns, but not assume nothing is being done at the same time.

10. Triplebutterfly

Ok, first of all I'm against the wait-and-see approach, it always ends up bad.
    What I do believe is that from level 1-30 we shouldn't expect flashy skills like you showed in this thread. The skills at endgame will most likely be more flashy, if you're expecting BDO-flashy skills I don't think it will be the case, and I am glad! BDO skills are too much for me.. It is a matter of taste which presonally I like A:IR approach so far much more, IMO A:IR animations and attention to details are top notch.

I'd like to address the ideas you posted in the comment I queoted. You posted a lot of magical outfits that not necessarily fit the steampunk genre, in the other hand the last 3 do fit.

The first 2 (out of the last 3)doensn't seem like a magician/wizad/sorceress but more like mechanic outfit that produce flames if you don't care about it but it fits perfectly to the steampunk genre.

About the third, the last one.
    I think it fits the best to the genre, it's a witch. She seems like she took an other path from the others, and although she isn't using any steampunk "gear", her outfit fits to the era and takes different approach that can get witches in to a steampunk game.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Sera likes this.
  11. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Sometimes it's important to be straightforward and call something terrible just that - terrible. And this is not just a rant, this is my honest opinion, which I think I could explain sufficiently well.

12. Triplebutterfly

Wait, are you saying it's terrible? I didn't know that's what you're thinking about A:IR

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I'm saying I am terribly disappointed.

I am not expecting BDO-like skills and have actually made a thread about not wanting full screen flashes and all sorts of useless visual spam. Good looking spell effects are welcome and I disagree about how we should only expect to see anything of higher visual quality after some arbitrary character level. Obviously, I do not expect all sorts of super powerful looking spells early on, but what's there should look good and engaging and the gameplay that these skills enable should be somewhat fun and interesting - I saw neither in the video I linked earlier.

The last three pictures you are referring to were posted by me only and specifically to further explain how the visual effects for the ultimate-looking spell from the video could look like. Anything besides the flaming hairs, flaming hands and the flaming halo isn't relevant in those. I also dislike the clothing in all three of them when in comes to magical classes.

And of course I disagree with the notion that mage classes must 100% adhere to the steampunk style for following reasons:

- Steampunk is visually all about Victorian era and technology that visually fits to this era. Magic is an alternative to technology and therefore magic class visuals should also look alternatively, offer a different visual style. Not neccessarily totally different, maybe even somewhat similar, but nontheless different - well, "magical".
    - "Variety is the spice of life". I like some variety in visual designs between different classes. Current mage clothing IMO looks way too much like leather armours rather than magical clothing.
    - There are 2 ranged classes in A:IR - sorcerer and gunner. If I want to play a magical character wearing magical clothing and using cool looking magical abilities - in my case a hot elven sorceress(posibly even flying on a firebreathing Badass Battle Dragon) - then I choose the sorcerer class. If I want a steampunk ranged fighter with all sorts of steampunk-related abilities, gadgets and other steampunk-y visuals then I go for the gunner, who hopefully also wears some really cool looking armours.
    - By going for the staff as a weapon - a simple wooden stick of all things on top of that - Bluehole already has forsaken a lot of potential for a technology-inclined magic user class.
    I mean, one could imagine some sort of a technical device that is used to cage/shield some unstable magical energy source, which in turn then fuels all sorts of cool magical abilities of the caster and must be held by some also great looking armoured gloves and energy sparkling like electrical lightning between the gloves and the device etc etc

Basically two following pictures combined:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just put some funny looking goggles on the girl and voila - totally steampunk.

- Which brings us to the next point: steampunk is a bit fluid when it comes to design. You can just randomly add either some goggles or a funny hat with goggles to a character and it turns steampunk in an instant IMO.

Turn the blindfold into some fancy ocular for detection of magical energies - instant steampunk. Or just replace it with some goggles - also steampunk.
    [​IMG]

Replace the hood with fancy hat with goggles - steampunk. Well, maybe with some high boots for good measure.

[​IMG]

- And the last reason: personally, I do have some expectations for magical classes when in comes to visuals - they need to look good, they need to look magical and their attire must provide the impression that they depend on magic for defense rather than on mundane techniques(with the added benefit that one can at least see what those hours in character creator were spent on). I'm rather neutral to "meh" on A:IR's cloth looks so far and I do not think that sorceresses' attire looks magical in any way - as mentioned before, they look more like leather classes and lack in cool looking enchanted gems placed like wards on the clothing for for magical effect. Steampunk design is rather technical than magical just by its origin.

And with that some more magical looking characters:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tbh, clothing isn't too critical at the start, but animations are and they need to be captivating right at the beginning of the game.

And now for the last thing I wanted to share. It will require a bit of imagination, so the people who may have read my posts in this thread can maybe understand where I am going with my suggestions concerning stave's art and the resulting look of the sorcerer class.

First we take this character:

Long flowing hair, somefancy magical dress, nice face.
    [​IMG]

And replace with her the character below, while keeping pose with the staff and flames on the hand from this second picture:

[​IMG]
    That's some ridiculous looking armour :confused:

Now just imagine the glowing/burning hair effect from the previous post, mentally add a fiery crown on top and a circle of fire around the resulting character. That's what I like to see for the sorcerer class - not some village girl with a wooden stick.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. Similon

Similon Ascendant

DCO
    On the matter of clothes: So "magical looking" means heavily embellished with Corsets and/or thigh boots?

It may just be me, but I like that they (so far, at least) have avoided that particular trope. I find it very refreshing to see them going for a consistent, lore-friendly, grounded artistic style. It's much more immersive than the usual Disparate strippers, power rangers, and foam armours present in most games. And so much easier to take seriously.

So yeah, I'm all for some traditional mmo slutty, shiny, sparkly clothes if people want them (and there is clearly a market for them so that's affirmative). But in addition to the interesting, lore friendly, reserved, realistic and semi-serious ones we've seen so far, not instead of.

As for the weapons: Staves do tend to be boring, and integrating weapons in the skills certainly makes them much more visually appealing, as well as just being logical. Why would you carry a giant stick if it did nothing? And yes, the usual layer on spikes and skulls and horns and flames and glitter and signs and.... approach is incredibly hideous.

So I do kind of agree with your problem statement, but disagree with the solution being "make it bigger and flashier!"

I have an assortment of walking sticks in real life. Some of which are damn beautiful, while still being very simple in design. Personally, that'd be my preferred approach; from crude and functional, to artisanally crafted elegance. Not garish or bold visuals. But, to each his own, I guess.

So, yeah... I partially agree with you. The skills do look like they could do with some improvement, and additional options is always a nice thing

Seven and Triplebutterfly like this.
  15. nope

nope Ascendant

Yeah exactly that, nothing more. I don't agree with anything you've wrote.

16. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

1. This is my personal preference and I provided some general explanations in my previous post. Thigh boots are already featured on at least Mystic class anyway.
    The sorceress' clothing I saw in the videos also reminded me of Engineer class from Guild Wars 2 and looks to me more like leather than some magical clothing. If there was a non-magical Alchemist or a Scholar class in A:IR, current clothing style would fit perfectly.

2. I completely agree about the need of providing options.

Considering definition of "slutty" - In my understanding "slutty" designs would look like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile what I feel looks like "magical" first and foremost and what I am talking about is more like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I especially like those metallic and very magical looking "gloves"(or however you would call them) in the last picture.

The "magical" designs would ideally feature some magical talismans, gems, amulets, runes, symbols etc to reinforce the magical nature of the clothing, just like on some other pictures I posted before. Maybe also some magical scrolls, small pouches and a magical crystal or two(for additional magical power/energy/mana or whatever) would also somehow fit as a small detail, just like the pouch on a particular outfit currently already in the game.

3. Flashier - maybe, to some extent. Bigger? Not exactly. Definitely more elegant, though.

The main idea behind the suggested transformation effect is to keep the staves in their inactive state very elegant and not as hilariously big as they are right now - about 1,5 times the character size. But when you get into combat, the transformation of the staff's tip would provide not only some cool visual effects, but also signify its role as a magical tool and an actual magical weapon.

This is one of the staves from the game, for example:

[​IMG]

Tell me with a straight face that this is elegant or aesthetically pleasing o_O There is also literally a table globe on a stick, too.
    This is the one from the official artwork:

[​IMG]

It's... mundane. Not exactly elegant or exciting. Just like the clothing - it's okay, but lacks a certain "magical" element.

I'd like to see something more cool, magical - and i guess new in terms of design - instead, an actual magical weapon that looks powerful/deadly and elegant at the same time.

Maybe something along these lines:

[​IMG]

You could for example imagine the tip as a magical glowing crystal which, when inactive/out of combat, is held by the clasps below(which could be placed in an X-formation for a more dramatic effect when in combat) to contain its magical energies.

Or maybe something similar to the staves of dark elves from God of War 4 at around 0:40 and 4 minute marks:

As I said before, going for the transformation efects on the staves would allow for wide range of cool and creative designs that could look really awesome in combat and wouldn't mess up your character with all sorts of glows and model collisions while out of combat and simply standing around or doing some regular buisiness in town.

Also, post some pictures of your walking sticks ;)

In conclusion:
    Clothing is a secondary concern to me. I find the current designs rather mundane, not exactly "magical". This can be changed later on just by creating some new designs. But getting some "magical" attire earlier on would be welcome.
    I think the game would profit significantly in terms of visuals from my suggestions concerning the staves(art, effects and transformation).
    Spell animations and art are the primary concern and together with staves this is what really needs changing before release.
    Of course, this is just my opinion :)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  17. IronArm

IronArm Ascendant

I'm not sure about where you go the impression that I was suggesting you shouldn't be straightforward about anything. Saying something is "terrible" isn't constructive either. Explaining the flaws in a system and explaining its your personal opinion is though.

Sera likes this.
  18. Greeniewolf

Greeniewolf Ascendant

You REALLY don't understand what steampunk is then. While you are correct in that steampunk doesn't always mean Victorian or neo-Victorian clothing based (for example plenty of American wild-west based and variants based upon various eras of Japanese, Korean, Indian, and even Egyptian clothing , you are completely wrong that adding goggles can make anything steampunk. Nor does simply throwing gears on it. (There is actually a very good song about this by Sir Reginald. I suggest looking it up.) Saying such things is a large insult to most active steampunk communities and to steampunk artists, or writers like myself.

Furthermore, in steampunk art, literature, moves, shows, mangas and comics, and cosplays magic is not always an alternative to the technology, in some cases it actually is just more sophisticated use of the technology or alternatively integrated into it.

I would rather see something that flows with the look of rest of the game for any "magic" wielding classes than something based upon a fantasy or medieval fantasy style. As far as weapons go, I personally don't care how simple or elaborate the staves are. In fact, I wouldn't mind a mix of both very simple and very elaborate. As they say "variety is the spice of life" but I would like to say that I would prefer to see some sort of mechanics on at least some of the more elaborate staves as opposed to floating disconnect pieces, though that's just me.

Oh and for the record, while not exactly to my taste, I do actually find the stave you disdain so much to be intriguing and interesting. While it may not be "pretty" I would at least consider it. Especially if the dye system is done a little better than bdo. (The way the dyes were implemented in bdo is one of my serious frustrations with that game.)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  19. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I've got an idea for a visual effect for an ultimate type of ability for the elementalist class, which may not be totally new but worth a consideration at least and goes along the lines of pictures in the post #7 of this thread.

This is the video in question and the segment I will refer to starts from 2:52 mark:

The effect I think will fit the Elementalist class is the blacklight effect seen in the segment I mentioned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is probably a fan's drawing for the video:

[​IMG]

So with that as the visual basis, this is what I am suggesting:

Upon activation of some sort of an ultimate buff like shown in the gameplay video i critisized in this thread a bit further above, the character becomes engulfed by a magical aura resembling a large magical flame, dark red to dark purple for the fire stance - let's call it "Dark Flame of Destruction"(lol), dark bluish to black for ice stance - "Black Ice"(sounds totally badass, right? :D).

Just like in the pictures above, the character's skin would turn pitch black, with maybe some magical symbols glowing here and there and certain parts of the attire glowing in an intense colour, too - bright orange for fire stance, bright blue for ice stance.
    Same for hairs. Bright orange and bright blue, with the added effect for female characters that the hair becomes longer and moves like the character itself is floating in a zero G environment - to create an effect that the character for the duration of the spell is in some way not a part of this world anymore and is in some interdimensional space where he/she draws magical energies from.

And of course the eyes should get an intense glow, too - bright red/purple for fire stance and some shade of blue for ice stance.

20. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

I also made a very basic drawing just to better visualize the concept I tried to describe in the post above:

[​IMG]

Certainly, not exatly fine art, but this should explain it sufficiently.