Before you play

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by Ksan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Ksan

Ksan Ascendant

2. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

I support the opinion of this OP, and it's not just about the Publishing, it's about the quality of the game as well!
    If the game has been designed terribly, what makes you think you'll even become a Customer of this Publisher in the first place?

Quality of the game is the initial concern, Publishing Service is an additional concern!

People need to stop labeling TERA as a good MMORPG when it's Combat, Graphics, and Sound are the only thing good in the expense of everything else. It is an MMORPG that is lacking! It's scale is very limited, Contents are bare-boned, Progression is vertical, the Performance is terrible, Activities are all Instanced (except for maybe BAMs) and are all Session-based and very limited (because the Rewards are capped for every Session). To progress in TERA which is a very time-gated MMO, you have to make multiple Accounts to farm Mats for upgrading Equipments (such as Feedstocks), Gold, and other useful Consumables. The game is also very skill-based which is bad for an MMORPG.

TERA is not a good MMORPG overall! Just because the Devs can make sacrifices for the Combat, as well as throw-in good Graphics and Sound, doesn't make their game a good MMORPG!

Just because A:IR can make sacrifices for vehicle Action-Combat with collision-detection of projectiles, as well as throw-in good Graphics, doesn't make their game a good MMORPG as well! This Developer is replicating the same failures it did with TERA!

While the Publisher of this game and BDO are the same, the Developers and game-designs are different! It's not gonna have the same success as BDO if the game-design is terrible!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Eärwen likes this.
  3. Vujkan

Vujkan Ascendant

eternal,tell me last 5 years which chinese/korean mmorpg survived more than 1 year?!,yes mmorpg games is COMBAT system and it will always be,combat system,animations,good graphics + good PvE system,bdo is fantastic game but problem is RNG for alot players because you need to grind like a maniac,and spend xxxxx hours if you want to bet top tier geared player,i can say for future no one developer can make good mmo like bdo i mean for graphics and fantastic combat system,classes are amazing,effects skills everything is perfect expect ****ing RNG + p2win and miss alot PvE system like dungeons raids,solo instances.
    Now we can talk about AiR now what i see first i dont like old graphics(too old engine for 2019 reason people want good mmo + good graphics and combat system),second still use old,bad,trash Tab Target system!
    what do you think ETERNAL about Air how long can survive with this graphics and combat?!i still like this game,and i am old skool player over 22 years experience in mmorpg world i hope this game will be succesfull,but big question is how will work this engine(optimization) in pvp and large scale pvp and how fun is this combat system!!

4. Eärwen

Eärwen Ascendant

what do you mean by skill-based and instanced?

5. Eternal

Eternal Ascendant

TERA is an MMORPG. An "RPG" has emphasis on Character Advancement. It means that your Stats (from Gears, etc.) must also offer an advantage in the game. This way, it makes an existing Character Progression System actually rewarding and meaningful because of the incentives. MMORPGs also used to have Intellect-based Mechanics (using your intelligence to provide you with advantage) such as having strategy/tactics on the Combat in a pace that will allow for it, having situational Gears, having different Attributes (Elements with Weaknesses, Strengths, etc.), having the ability to customize your Build in which the game have diversity, etc. It requires you to study the game-mechanics and plan because the game offers decision-making through a non-linear Progression.

In TERA, the importance of Stat-based and Intellect-based on the Mechanics are missing. The whole Combat is about reacting and having keyboard-skills for your Rotation. The game have so many 1-shot mechanics which is all about reaction. Your Skill is the only thing important in this game. This is an MMORPG that emphasizes only Skill -- I mean what the f**k is that?! MOBAs, Battle Royales, and Esports are fully Skill-based, but MMORPGs are not according to the characteristics of that genre.

An MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online. When all Activities that you do in the game take place in private Instances, not in the public (shared) Open World, it makes the game an "Instanced" game. It doesn't matter if the persistence is in the Open World -- when your Activities are all Instances, your activities are all private. It makes the game a Multiplayer game, not a Massive Multiplayer game. Tell me, what is the difference between private Instanced Dungeons and Raids to Lobby Multiplayer Matches of any Multiplayer games in regards to scale? The scales are the same! Who cares about the Open World when all your Activities are only Multiplayer in scale in which 30-man Raid is the max? Activities are where you spend almost all of your time in-game -- if they are not in the Open World, then they draw you away from the Open World, making the Activities a Lobby.

Instances defeat the purpose of an MMO in which you are supposed to interact publicly. If we all share 1 world, that makes that world dynamic. Put the Activities there, not f**king put them elsewhere in private Instances!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Eärwen likes this.