Badass Battle Dragons

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussions' started by hurfmurf, Dec 7, 2017.

1. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

This game severely lacks some hot elven sorceresses flying on badass fire breathing dragons.

But let's talk about dragons for a start. Some pictures first to create proper athmosphere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is hardly anything else that could catch and hold attention of gamers looking for a MMO to play like badass flyable dragons with a solid flight model and a good range of skills used for actual battles instead of being a simple means of transportation.

Dragons can provide the missing magical something that your game is currently severely lacking between the bombs, guns and crazy tech. Maybe even enabling for some twist of the cyberpunk theme. And looking at the picture coming next, I feel that a dragon is a much more satisfying, more relatable and personal and simply a more elegant mount than a small flying ship can ever be.

[​IMG]

Of course, I also think that battle dragon mounts can also fit from the gameplay standpoint - provided I don't severely misjudge the capabilities of this game's engine.

How can dragons fit in:

1. As a nimble
    2. close range, burst damage
    3. point attack mount that
    4. offers a slightly different more engaging flight model and
    5. also utilizes the rider in attack animations.

Explanations.

1. From what we could observe from the G-Star videos, even small flying ships can take some damage and use a sort of a shield - but they are somewhat slow at flying, slow at turning, slow at as-/descending.

Dragons could do maneuverying and flying slightly faster, but wouldn't have access to afterburner-type speed boosts like the boats and maybe wouldn't be able to ascend as fast. No force shields either, I'd assume. The main way to prevent damage is to avoid being hit - therefore the playstyle would be one of constant movement with only very short stops for a point blank fire breath attack.

2. Flying ships can apparently shoot a continuous stream of projectiles - dragons would attack sparsely, but for a significant chunk of damage each time, from much closer range than a small flying ship or a mounted gun would do.

3. Dragons could be the specialized tool to attack modules on ships of all sizes due to (high?)concentrated and well-aimed burst damage from close range and a tool of suppression for ship personell in close range if given some crowd-conrol skills like aoe stun from strike of wings, fear-type or disorient ability like a dragon roar.

4. I noticed that ships hardly tilt to the side when turning and they obviously can't do a barrel roll or any sort of advanced flying maneuvers. Dragons could be the mount to do all of this and maybe even provide some tactical possiblities like gaining speed from dropping altitude.

5. Player characters could also be involved in the dragon attacks by using special skills like throwing an explosive spear, shooting a magical bolt or any sort of other magical energies from a staff, swinging a magical fire sword that throws a bolt of fire towards a target.
    Players could also be the element that executes some defensive skills - like throwing a bomb that creates a smoke screen, or using some sort of a healing injector for the dragon for a small emergency HP boost/regen.

Skill ideas for both dragon and rider:

- Basic fire breath

[​IMG]

Channel a fire breath (only) while hovering. Very short range, very high damage. Has a certain CD like 10 sec, can't be spammed.

- Strafing run fire breath

[​IMG]

Short to medium range, medium damage fire breath while flying. Requires cetain speed. Maybe just replaces Basic fire breath while out of hover.

- Tail swipe.

Dragon swirls around swiping its tail in a 90 degree damage cone. Stuns other dragons or any living targets. Melee range basically.

- Dragon roar.

While hovering, the Dragon roars, resulting in confusion/fear debuff in a short range 160 degree cone.

- Dragon dive attack.

The Dragon quickly drops altitude, gaining speed and then spread its wings for a sudden stop, which results in a shockwave stunning anyone in short range in a 360 degree area.

- Dive

Dragon folds its wings and quickly drops altitude. The longer it falls, the faster it becomes. Use the skill again to continue flying as usual.

- Rider attack.

Dragon rider uses its weapon to launch a short-medium range precision attack.Possible effects and uses:
    - Very effective vs a ship's component like turret, energy generator, shield generator etc.
    - A crowd control skill for single traget, like pushing off a gun operator from the gun, or slowing down a single living target.
    - a simple damage skill vs ship crews and other riders.
    This could be also used to break any harpoon chains slowing or pulling objects to enemy ships if such weapons would ever introduced.
    This could be a chain skill, gaining power with each successful hit in the given timeframe.

I imagine this a a free aiming skill - you press the skill button, your dragon locks its flying trajectory and you can move the mouse to aim, then use the left click of the mouse to execute the skill, right click to abort. Also useful to take a look around without having to turn your dragon and lose speed.

- Rider defensive skills

As mentioned above, throwing a small bomb that results in a smoke screen(non ignitable), or inject the dragon or self with a healing.

This should be enough a start. Just don't forget about hot elven sorceresses, please ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Lhyuu likes this.
  2. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Well, I used my professional MS Paint skills to try to illustrate how a typical high speed attack would look like using a dragon:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. TheFirstOrder

TheFirstOrder Ascendant

This game has lot's of potential, I hope that thy don't ruin it and thy bring lot's of cool ideas that we gamer want to see in mmorpgs for years already^^. Nice idea friend, thank you for your effort to share them with us.

hurfmurf likes this.
  4. shochbaum

shochbaum Ascendant

:)that is amazing. and im not being a jerk, i actually mean that. hopefully the game mechanics work right to pull that off.

hurfmurf likes this.
  5. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Hello again.

I'd like to present another idea/concept for the animal battlemounts in general, with the suggested dragon flight model as the demonstration example.

Dynamic air upstreams and a special ability of animal mounts to sense these.

Just like windstreams could provide a slightly more fun and engaging way to get around a map, air upstreams could make battles on animal battle mounts more fun and much more dynamic, also setting animal mounts a bit further apart from airships in terms of gameplay mechanics, thus increasing variety of (pvp) gameplay styles.

Main components of the suggestion:

- Each map area contains a number of dynamically occuring upward air flows - short upstreams - that allow animal mounts and players using their backpack wings to quickly gain altitude.
    - Upstreams are not (entirely) static: they disappear and then reappear after certain duration in different locations on the same map.
    - Upstreams are visibile to players, but only in very close proximity
    - Animal mounts have a special ability allowing mounted players see these upstreams from much higher distances.

Where I am going with this suggestion:

IMO there needs to be a difference between how an animal mounts and how an airship handles and plays both in terms of basic flight mechanics and in terms of fight tactics. The simple reason is that a change of pace is good and having a choice from different playstyles increases and prolongs satisfaction with a game.

Some more incredible MS Paint artwork:

[​IMG]

As seen in the picture, upstreams would allow to solidify the "agile air assasin" role for the animal battlemounts, setting the apart from airships which work more like a tanky range fighters, ranged weapon plattforms, troop transports or even partially as an aircraft carrier as seen in some videos.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  6. hurfmurf

hurfmurf Ascendant

Recently I came upon a game still in development which bears some similiarity to the suggestions in this thread.
    Some gameplay videos:

The dev went for a more flightsim-like targeting system and completely omits any sort of actual close/melee combat or the mount itself using any abilities. Still looks pretty nice from the visual standpoint and for a game like A:IR one could easily see how similar flightmodel might fit into the big picture of aerial battles.
    Flying ships could be a more slower-paced, tactical/methodical, cooldown- and ability-based combat where you'd be able to take some damage and counter it through shield management, repairs on-the-fly and certain defensive skills, while flying mounts could be a faster-paced way to fight in the air, depend on quick evasive maneuvers and utilize burstier and quicker attacks at closer ranges, just like I described in the posts above.

Considering the bird mount visuals, I remembered a movie I saw some years ago, with some fancy bird armours:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you add some sort of a storm breath attack for magical bird mounts on top(similar in its function to the fire breath of dragons), these would be fairly cool visuals.

I know that currently it is possible to fight while being mounted by using regular character skills(although I think this looks silly/messy at times and will create balancing issues in terms of ranged vs melee like in Aion, and could limit creative design of class skills somewhat), so I guess this is just me sharing some interesting gameplay.